EggMan207

Chirping
Apr 24, 2017
I am thinking about starting to breed and sell French Black Copper Marans (and possibly one or two other breeds) in Maine. Does anyone have advice on getting started? I probably wouldn't start until next year at the earliest. Is there a market for these French Black Coppers? How would I do online sales and ship chicks? What would I need to know/need to do to get started?

Any advice, insights, or opinions would be helpful.

If you could vent sex, that may be helpful. If not, obviously, you would need to sell straight run. I believe you would also need to be NPIP in order to sell across state lines. Craig's list is an option. I have sold POL pullets and hens through CL.

If you could vent sex, that may be helpful. If not, obviously, you would need to sell straight run. I believe you would also need to be NPIP in order to sell across state lines. Craig's list is an option. I have sold POL pullets and hens through CL.

Thanks. I am toying with the idea altogether... How many pullets were you able to sell on Craig's List per year? Was there a large market for it? What were you able to charge?

I'm also in Maine, and looking for New Hampshire Red chicks. Bought my girls through Tractor Supply last time - no option this year for this breed. LoveLoveLove these chickens - great producers (5 girls, sometimes 6-7 eggs daily?? and lots of double-yolkers) and really fun personalities. Love handling (we do this daily when chicks) and never had to chase the girls around. Anyone have any leads? We're rebuilding, lost our girls to a fisher and I'm still wretched about that! Any ideas? To order through hatchery was $80!! for 6 girls?

I'm also in Maine, and looking for New Hampshire Red chicks. Bought my girls through Tractor Supply last time - no option this year for this breed. LoveLoveLove these chickens - great producers (5 girls, sometimes 6-7 eggs daily?? and lots of double-yolkers) and really fun personalities. Love handling (we do this daily when chicks) and never had to chase the girls around. Anyone have any leads? We're rebuilding, lost our girls to a fisher and I'm still wretched about that! Any ideas? To order through hatchery was $80!! for 6 girls?

Look up on NPIP website by state: http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm
There will be listings per state, but all pages are not full, so keep scrolling through the listings.

They use breed codes, so here are the New Hampshire breed codes ("New Hampshire Red" was not listed, but maybe that is the standard New Hampshire color
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 8.49.48 AM.png

If you want to look up other breed codes, they are listed on the above link, on the left side ("stock codes").

Hopefully you can find a breeder or hatchery that you can drive to.

Back
Top Bottom