Pics
If he’s still alive after all this time it isn’t affecting him that bad. Wait til it cools down. Withhold water for a day before. Use sharp leather cutting shears. Wrap the bird in a towel tightly. One person hold, the other cut the comb where it folds. It will bleed a lot. Dunk his entire head in ice cold water and then use blood clot, DE, firewood ash to help the blood clot and scab over.
You need to be able to cut it quickly. Clean cuts heal better, bleed less and are easier on the bird. The vitamin k before hand will help the blood thicken and it won’t flow as fast same as lack of water.
:thumbsup

If he’s still alive after all this time it isn’t affecting him that bad. Wait til it cools down. Withhold water for a day before. Use sharp leather cutting shears. Wrap the bird in a towel tightly. One person hold, the other cut the comb where it folds. It will bleed a lot. Dunk his entire head in ice cold water and then use blood clot, DE, firewood ash to help the blood clot and scab over.
You need to be able to cut it quickly. Clean cuts heal better, bleed less and are easier on the bird. The vitamin k before hand will help the blood thicken and it won’t flow as fast same as lack of water.

He's just having a bit swallow issue as his neck is bent yes I'll follow ur advise I have surgical scissor but I'll order more sharper blades
Vitamin k is out of stock in shop so whenever I've dubbing is on charts we are waiting for cooler weather too

Dubbing roosters isn’t my favorite thing to do in the world either. Some birds seriously don’t even flinch. I’ve posted pics in the gamefowl thread last winter with a bird that was just dubbed with a trickle of blood and falling asleep in my hands. Some will squawk a little bit but it seems to me it more about the pressure your putting on the comb holding it upright to cut than any actual pain. Either way they get over it real fast.

I know people have been using all kinds of scissors for dubbing. Years ago I bought a pair of “dubbin” shears from a “chicken” place. They were junk. Surgical scissors are usually too small in my opinion.
3BD81930-9451-4FC3-8BD2-D6CCD118A82E.jpeg

Just about any of these Fiskars scissors will work. $20 or so depending on where you get them.

Can anyone suggest foods that are high with vitamin K ?? I mean regular food which might be available everywhere n easily .. whatever it may be ... Meat or even green vegetables etc anything containing Vit K.

Where @Saaniya lives , she is out of vitamin K stock at vet store and me too having the same problem. I think if you guys could suggest some food which contains vitamin K , that would be somewhat helpful for our roosters.

@staceyj please check on this post too. It might be useful to you too.

Wonderful advice has been given here. I think if you work quick, he won't really know what happened. I would immediately after keep him in a semi darkened room to keep him quiet. Darkness quiets birds, he wont bleed as easy and shouldn't be panicked if in low light. Clove oil will temporarily numb skin. You might slather it on just before cutting.

I remember years ago I had two hens battle it out for being top bird. One hen got her wattle nearly torn off. When I found her, part of the wattle was just hanging there, I had arrived a few minutes after it happened. She didn't bleed all that much. A few days later the loose part sort of crusted over and so I clipped it off. She healed ok.

Can anyone suggest foods that are high with vitamin K ?? I mean regular food which might be available everywhere n easily .. whatever it may be ... Meat or even green vegetables etc anything containing Vit K.

Where @Saaniya lives , she is out of vitamin K stock at vet store and me too having the same problem. I think if you guys could suggest some food which contains vitamin K , that would be somewhat helpful for our roosters.

@staceyj please check on this post too. It might be useful to you too.
I have been absent today due to jury duty. I’ll read and catch up.

Back
Top Bottom