This is Why Hardware Cloth

I just finished my first tractor with Hardware cloth, I'm so stocked! Finally part of the HC community! I've always used welded wire, or scrap wire we have on our property from the previous owner. This time, I just bought wire. I'm really excited. Welded wire works good, but not against Weasels or rats.
Hardware cloth for the win! I'm glad your birds were well protected. :)

I am considering putting an electric wire around the coop the 60 mile fence charger I saw on Craig's list is probably a little strong though.
And yes, determination can come in minute packages.
Mini wheenie can wipe out a small flock. (also, I have thought about getting a gamecock...but then again *I* want to go out to the chickens without getting mauled. )

60-mile isn't really that strong a charger -- especially if you use poultry netting. Cost-effectiveness aside, too much charger is better than too little.

And yes, people often don't realize how much prey-drive some of the small dogs have when presented with the opportunity. :(

Here's a great reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-treatise-on-electric-fences-for-poultry.72229/

While no intact male animal can ever be trusted 100%, game-breed chickens have been selected over thousands of years to be aggressive to other roosters but calm with humans. However, it's really better as a chicken newbie to have a year or so with a hen-only flock under your belt before getting a male. Also, roosters don't really offer all that much protection. :)

^^^ I use a 30 mile charger. Three hot wires, each 1/3 of a mile. I routinely touch mine to test its charge. As recently as last night in fact. and I've driven 8 extra ground rods to ensure I have a good path back. Its annoying yes, and will certainly get your attention - but less than accidentally bumping household current working on a live circuit (0/10 - do not recommend).

Many people imaginge a rooster puffing up, flaring its neck feathers, and fighting off a predator. Not normally the reality.

Your rooster protects the flock in two ways - one, he crows very loudly to spread the alert so others can run for safety. Two, he might be a sacrifice to slow down whatever is coming for your hens. A meaningless sacrifice, in the case of predators who take choice bits and leave the rest, or are simply there to kill.

If you aren't breeding, and they aren't meat roos for table, there's really no point in having them.

60-mile isn't really that strong a charger -- especially if you use poultry netting. Cost-effectiveness aside, too much charger is better than too little.

And yes, people often don't realize how much prey-drive some of the small dogs have when presented with the opportunity. :(

Here's a great reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-treatise-on-electric-fences-for-poultry.72229/

While no intact male animal can ever be trusted 100%, game-breed chickens have been selected over thousands of years to be aggressive to other roosters but calm with humans. However, it's really better as a chicken newbie to have a year or so with a hen-only flock under your belt before getting a male. Also, roosters don't really offer all that much protection. :)
years ago I had a 'Fido Shock' charger. It was rated for perhaps a mile of wire.
At the time I had maybe 100 feet hooked up, and backed into it on a damp day.
My leg felt twitchy for a few hours after that!
I had more thought about running a straight wire along the confinement. I need to ask a friend with an advanced math degree, how many strand of wire that is on my little plot to get to 60 miles! 🤔
I need to look into the poultry netting. It would be a good way to section off parts of the yard.

years ago I had a 'Fido Shock' charger. It was rated for perhaps a mile of wire.
At the time I had maybe 100 feet hooked up, and backed into it on a damp day.
My leg felt twitchy for a few hours after that!
I had more thought about running a straight wire along the confinement. I need to ask a friend with an advanced math degree, how many strand of wire that is on my little plot to get to 60 miles! 🤔
I need to look into the poultry netting. It would be a good way to section off parts of the yard.

I love my Premier 1 Poultrynet Plus.

Easy to handle and versatile.

Question, is it better to get a plug in fence charger, a battery powered one or one that can work on both?

I have the solar charger. It has it's good points and it's bad points.

While it *does* have a plug-in option you can't run the fence on the plug in -- you can't even have it outdoors. It's strictly an option to charge the battery.

I find that during the winter I have to bring it in for a charge about once a week.

...FWIW, I had a dog that was able to chew through a chain link fence when he wanted to get out of his kennel. I don't think any hardware cloth would have stopped that dog from attacking chickens if he was motivated...
Maybe. Maybe he would have to get the wire between his teeth to chew it. If the squares are to small for that, it might work better than the chain link even though it is so much lighter wire.

Back
Top Bottom