This little guy is sick isnt he?!!!!

Here we are days later and he is still alive. Showing no signs of anything respitory. No objects in throat. No discharges. Acting normal and eating drinking. Getting along just fine. Does still do it but very rarely now. We've noticed it increases with excitement or like a stress response. We think it might just be developmental and that's just the way he is. I had a snake that coughed for no reasons at all and lived to be very old with no other issues. Fingers crossed it's just like that. Other chicks are perfect too so, we"ll see I guess.

Jesus!!!! Now 3 more are doing it.... ***!!!! I'm gonna pull my Fn hair out for christs sake. Is this what it's like for all noobs. Kill ur first 3 flocks before u get it right? UUUGGGH

Jesus!!!! Now 3 more are doing it.... ***!!!! I'm gonna pull my Fn hair out for christs sake. Is this what it's like for all noobs. Kill ur first 3 flocks before u get it right? UUUGGGH
What's the temp in your brooder?
Where is your brooder set-up?
Did the original one stop sneezing?

You mention "kill ur first 3 flocks" - can you clarify this - have you had any chicks die - if so, how many and in what period of time?

If they are all sneezing and that's the only symptom (no discharge from the nostrils, no runny eyes, etc.) and they are still active, eating, drinking, then looking at your brooder setup would be a good idea. As @chickens really mentions, poor ventilation, dusty bedding and feed can cause sneezing. While it's possible that they contracted a respiratory illness from the ones that you got from the breeder, ruling out environmental issues would be appropriate.

Hello.....Possibly the temperature is too high in the brooder?......Lack of ventilation could be another issue.....;)

Best wishes....:)

Cheers!
I'm gonna try and lower the temps a bit. With heat lamp it's about 85 warm side and 78 cooler side. I built a new brooder box 3' X 4' lastnight that will be in a bigger cooler room. We keep the house about 70 during the day and 60 overnight although the room theyll be in is about low 50s. Is it too early to remove them from heat lamp or should I do off during day and on at night. They're approx 2.5 weeks old.

What's the temp in your brooder?
Where is your brooder set-up?
Did the original one stop sneezing?

You mention "kill ur first 3 flocks" - can you clarify this - have you had any chicks die - if so, how many and in what period of time?

If they are all sneezing and that's the only symptom  (no discharge from the nostrils, no runny eyes, etc.) and they are still active, eating, drinking, then looking at your brooder setup would be a good idea.  As @chickens really
  mentions, poor ventilation, dusty bedding and feed can cause sneezing.   While it's possible that they contracted a respiratory illness from the ones that you got from the breeder, ruling out environmental issues would be appropriate.
no I haven't killed any I was just so frustrated my sarcasm went into overtime. These are my first. The original one still does but not a often as he did before. Then it all went away for like 2 days and now this. But none of them are lethargic no runny eyes no weird poop no discharges. acting completely normal. Active as they can be. We've kept them in the spare bathroom not being used. The pine or feed is creating lots of dust I think. I didn't notice how much it has collected on the lamp etc. Before this morning. I should have known better too I'm in HVAC for a living and I know that bathrooms don't have returns, therefore only heat vent to supply warmth but no return to circulate the air, installed in bathrooms and kitchens, DUUUH! I'm an idiot!!! I'm gonna move them into a bigger room today and see what happens.

Last edited:
I haven't killed any I was just so frustrated my sarcasm went into overtime. The original one still does but not a often as he did before. Then it all went away for like 2 days and now this. We've kept them in the spare bathroom not being used. The pine ir feed is creating lots of dust I think. I didn't notice how much it has collected on the lamp etc. Before this morning. I should have known better too I'm in HVAC for a living and I know that bathrooms don't have returns, therefore only heat vent to supply warmth but no return to circulate the air installed and bathrooms and kitchens, DUUUH! I'm an idiot!!! I'm gonna move them into a bigger room today and see what happens.
Moving them where there is better ventilation will be helpful.

Keep one spot in the brooder warm for them and let the rest stay cool. Have the water and food on the cool end as well. Hopefully you will start to see some improvement once you have made your changes.
smile.png

Hello.....Possibly the temperature is too high in the brooder?......Lack of ventilation could be another issue.....;)

Best wishes....:)

Cheers!
I'm gonna try and lower the temps a bit. With heat lamp it's about 85 warm side and 78 cooler side. I built a new brooder box 3' X 4' lastnight that will be in a bigger cooler room. We keep the house about 70 during the day and 60 overnight although the room theyll be in is about low 50s. Is it too early to remove them from heat lamp or should I do off during day and on at night. They're approx 2.5 weeks old.

To be honest...Chicks after a week old can handle temp changes really well....That is when Momma Hen takes them out to forage and they do fine.....It never has to be a specific temp..As long as the Chicks are happy and running around, eating and drinking, peeping along as they go...They are fine........Have a cool side and warm side..;)........Mine live out side with my Broody hen in my garage....Not warm here by no means....Alberta,Canada.....We all over think things...;)...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom