Thread for Christian chicken lovers

Pics
Hey all I just wondered how many Christian chicken lovers were out there. Hope to have discussions with like minded folks about Jesus, chickens, gardens, or whatever you like.
I live in Oklahoma, have 6 hens and a rooster and 1 german shepherd. I grow a small vegetable garden with things I love to eat. I have 6 grandchildren and am an RN working at a local hospital. I am enjoying living out in the country for the first time since I was a kid.
Hi! We love the same things! Jesus, chickens, gardening and more. 🤗
I live in Texas - a small town north west of Houston. I love being in the country. I have 2 granddaughters age 11 and almost 4. I’m down to 1 horse, 4 cats and 4 chickens. I’ve wanted chickens for years and finally got some chicks this year. Three are laying and the forth should start maybe next week.

I live in Texas - a small town north west of Houston. I love being in the country. I have 2 granddaughters age 11 and almost 4. I’m down to 1 horse, 4 cats and 4 chickens. I’ve wanted chickens for years and finally got some chicks this year. Three are laying and the forth should start maybe next week.
Welcome! ❤️

We also have a prayers thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lowing-jesus-christ-everyone-welcome.1135475/

Hi, Everyone! Funny how life works. I just had to let go of my Phoebe, the one on the picture. I got her on March. Threee months ago, she had a crop infection and the vet gave her antibiotics. I nursed her back to normal and she always kept giving me xlarge eggs. This morning she laid her last. I was going to take a nap and decided to go and check on them and saw her ruffling her feathers in her neck. I picked her up and told her, oh, honey, I made you ruffle your feathers!" when I let her down noticed something, like an organ coming out of her cloaca. The others were pecking at her and I tried to get them away from her and to pick her back up. I did and did not know what to do. A great person that is part of BYC was the only one that picked up because I did not know what to do in my hysterical crying. She advised me to try to get it inside with gloves and vaseline. I have no vaseline but used antibiotic cream. It will not stay inside ands she kept trying to push it out. I decided to let her go and Hub just sent her to the other world. He decided that throughout this week, we will not eat chicken in memory of Phoebe. I came to BYC to let my Michigan group know and the first thing that popped was this group. So, yes, I am a Christian and belive in Jesus Christ to be the only son of God teh Father, who died for my sins and resurrected on the third day. He is my Lord and Savior and gave me chickens to care for them aznd to enjoy His creation. This is very hard. I really love my Phoebe!
Phoebeselfieday5.jpg
Phoebeselfieday2.jpg

Hi, Everyone! Funny how life works. I just had to let go of my Phoebe, the one on the picture. I got her on March. Threee months ago, she had a crop infection and the vet gave her antibiotics. I nursed her back to normal and she always kept giving me xlarge eggs. This morning she laid her last. I was going to take a nap and decided to go and check on them and saw her ruffling her feathers in her neck. I picked her up and told her, oh, honey, I made you ruffle your feathers!" when I let her down noticed something, like an organ coming out of her cloaca. The others were pecking at her and I tried to get them away from her and to pick her back up. I did and did not know what to do. A great person that is part of BYC was the only one that picked up because I did not know what to do in my hysterical crying. She advised me to try to get it inside with gloves and vaseline. I have no vaseline but used antibiotic cream. It will not stay inside ands she kept trying to push it out. I decided to let her go and Hub just sent her to the other world. He decided that throughout this week, we will not eat chicken in memory of Phoebe. I came to BYC to let my Michigan group know and the first thing that popped was this group. So, yes, I am a Christian and belive in Jesus Christ to be the only son of God teh Father, who died for my sins and resurrected on the third day. He is my Lord and Savior and gave me chickens to care for them aznd to enjoy His creation. This is very hard. I really love my Phoebe!
View attachment 2854492
View attachment 2854489
I'm sorry you lost your Phoebe. A prolapsed vent can be a real challenge to deal with. Our faith sure does help us get through our trials, doesn't it? May you be comforted in your loss. :hugs

View attachment 2854492
View attachment 2854489
So sorry for your loss ❤️
It's been said on here before: For some reason, it's usually the favorites that go first, if we even admit that we have favorites :)
Thank you for sharing with us
God Bless!

Thank you all! I got here by divinity because I was on my way to me State thread and this was the first one that opened. I was a very hard beginning of the week. No sleep, no food, not being able to go outside the front because she was in the trash can. But on Tuesday I had my therapist call and he stated that I needed to find some closure to move on. Then I asked Hub to move my truck towards the other side of the house even if there is nice grass there because winter will cover the tracks soon anyways and I was able to go to my Bible group. Funny that I know I speak a lot about my girls especially Phoebe who was so sassy and got in all kinds of crazy endeavors, they read about what happened and they gave me a big hug and prayed for me to find peace even as I had lost my favorite chicken. It was very thoughful of them. We began our group with a book about repentance. So, I came home and told Hub that we needed to do a proper burial to Phoebe and he agreed. He has been super supportive in all this and he even told me that we were not eating chicken nor eggs this past week. He told me that I understands how I feel but he also feels bad not because he has spend any time with any chicken but becasue he had to kill her. That it was different from an animal or a person who is going to harm him and he has to defend himself but with Phoebe, she had done nothing wrong. I remmebered tha repentance part and as he was making the hole next to her favorite rose bush which I hated, I sat and asked God for forgiveness and wrote Phoebe a note. God created her for me to cared for her and I, being more chicken than her, had someone else take her life. I knwo that many say it is just a chicken but she was my first friend in a long time. She was always there for me and listened to my crazyness and never judged me. I promised her that I would learn more about how to care for the prolapse vent and that I would get a first aid kit so that I can care for her sisters.
So, here is the first picture of her resting place. i will make it look better with stones later on. I still need to finish their roof on the run before winter comes and God sent me someone who is giving me 3 Lenghorns and 3 Golden Lace Wyandottes. Those may not be named since I am not sure. The only good thing so far is that she is there and I am able to be close to that place and look at it every time through the kitchen woindow or when I go to care for the others. Thank you so much. Also there is a picture of her last crazy stunt!

Phoebe'srestingplace1.jpg
summerfanwindowsetup.jpg

Thank you all! I got here by divinity because I was on my way to me State thread and this was the first one that opened. I was a very hard beginning of the week. No sleep, no food, not being able to go outside the front because she was in the trash can. But on Tuesday I had my therapist call and he stated that I needed to find some closure to move on. Then I asked Hub to move my truck towards the other side of the house even if there is nice grass there because winter will cover the tracks soon anyways and I was able to go to my Bible group. Funny that I know I speak a lot about my girls especially Phoebe who was so sassy and got in all kinds of crazy endeavors, they read about what happened and they gave me a big hug and prayed for me to find peace even as I had lost my favorite chicken. It was very thoughful of them. We began our group with a book about repentance. So, I came home and told Hub that we needed to do a proper burial to Phoebe and he agreed. He has been super supportive in all this and he even told me that we were not eating chicken nor eggs this past week. He told me that I understands how I feel but he also feels bad not because he has spend any time with any chicken but becasue he had to kill her. That it was different from an animal or a person who is going to harm him and he has to defend himself but with Phoebe, she had done nothing wrong. I remmebered tha repentance part and as he was making the hole next to her favorite rose bush which I hated, I sat and asked God for forgiveness and wrote Phoebe a note. God created her for me to cared for her and I, being more chicken than her, had someone else take her life. I knwo that many say it is just a chicken but she was my first friend in a long time. She was always there for me and listened to my crazyness and never judged me. I promised her that I would learn more about how to care for the prolapse vent and that I would get a first aid kit so that I can care for her sisters.
So, here is the first picture of her resting place. i will make it look better with stones later on. I still need to finish their roof on the run before winter comes and God sent me someone who is giving me 3 Lenghorns and 3 Golden Lace Wyandottes. Those may not be named since I am not sure. The only good thing so far is that she is there and I am able to be close to that place and look at it every time through the kitchen woindow or when I go to care for the others. Thank you so much. Also there is a picture of her last crazy stunt!

View attachment 2860057
View attachment 2860063
I always say this, because its true. We, as backyard chicken owners are going against commercial and factory farms, where birds never see the light of day. We give them the best life until the end. It happens, birds die, but they were happy up until the end. I would hate to cull a special hen or any hen at all. But, you did the right thing and you gave her a chance. ❤️

We bury all of our deceased birds here as well. I also place a stone slab on top because of coyotes and bobcats around. I have 2 GLWs. Both are the oldest girls in my flock, aging at 5-6 years old. One had to deal with flystrike twice and the other raised a batch of chicks earlier this year. One is Stacey and the other is Lacey. Took some time to differentiate their names. They are good birds, although some say they may be bullies. I only own one Leghorn, but she is a good girl and lays nearly every day.

View attachment 2860057
View attachment 2860063
She may not be in your hen house any more, but she will cluck in your heart forever. You were blessed to have had her, and she was blessed to have belonged to you. Thanks for sharing her story with us.

Back
Top Bottom