Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Emily, sunshine and free ranging are great and is something we do year round since we never see snow. Some don't have that option because of bantam ducks or nasty winters so suplimeting their feed and knowing what all can help stretch feed and add to their intact is good.

Geese are not a flock protector. They won't defend anyone but themselves and nest. They call out alerts, but not nearly as quickly as the roosters do. Many think a goose will protect their ducks, when in fact they really won't. Alerting is nice and more eyes watching for threats is always a good thing.

Iain, yay! Time for a good nights sleep now right? Just untimely to hatch some geese.

Today is post hole day for the new Scovy pen and new open air chicken pens. Makes me tired just thinking of all of those holes. Lad it's spring break for the schools, teenager home to do some digging.

On the feed issue.... I have been using purina start n grow for my waterfowl with no problems. But after using flockraiser for only 2 weeks, my month old drake is getting angelwing (which we will attempt to wrap up today). My adult geese free range and also love my horses' hay. I supplement with rolled oats most of the year and whole kernel corn (per holderreads' recommendation) in the winter, due to our bitter winter climate. I bought the mazuri for my toulouse babies to be... but if it is really that much better than the start n grow, I will probably switch to mazuri for all of my birds.

Have you ever noticed how sometimes ducks are afraid of babies? We introduced 3 week old scobies to a flock of almost mature Ruen-sized mutts, and the mutts were deathly afraid of the little nippers! It was hilarious. (... and then the big guys attacked the little guys....)

Celtic, thankfully I got a great night sleep last night. Once the silver apple was out of shell (by 1am), hubby took over watching hatchlings and I went to bed. Hopefully, I'll get one more good night's sleep before the stress starts x2 with my toulouse babies hatching!

Ok, my posts keep disappearing instead of posting!!!

I fed my parrots mazuri, ordered it from the pet store. Might find a pet store in the area that specializes in birds/exotics. Might be easier to get it from them then a feed store. My ducks/geese rarely eat any of their gamebird/oats/all flock whatever they are being fed since they are free ranging, they've been feeding themselves. Think since no one is molting/weather's nice I'm going back to gamebird/oatmeal for the brooder babies and all flock for everyone else. I just hate having to buy 5 different kinds of food.

3 EE hatched, 2 zipping, 6 not pipped/zipping yet. Today is hatch day though, so they've got time. Still happy my incubator baby and broody baby hatched at the same time, think I got my temperature right finally.
celebrate.gif
Will get pics to go with everyone else's cute pics.

CG- Got my eggs! Didn't see any broken ones, I'll candle when I have time.
wee.gif

Have you ever noticed how sometimes ducks are afraid of babies? We introduced 3 week old scobies to a flock of almost mature Ruen-sized mutts, and the mutts were deathly afraid of the little nippers! It was hilarious. (... and then the big guys attacked the little guys....)

You should see my little call duckling chasing the big terrified khaki mutts. They've settled down and became buddies over the last week, but before that that teeny duckling could send them running for the hills.
big_smile.png
Big one's couldn't attack the little one's either, they have geese bodyguards.

Ok, my posts keep disappearing instead of posting!!!

I fed my parrots mazuri, ordered it from the pet store. Might find a pet store in the area that specializes in birds/exotics. Might be easier to get it from them then a feed store. My ducks/geese rarely eat any of their gamebird/oats/all flock whatever they are being fed since they are free ranging, they've been feeding themselves. Think since no one is molting/weather's nice I'm going back to gamebird/oatmeal for the brooder babies and all flock for everyone else. I just hate having to buy 5 different kinds of food.

3 EE hatched, 2 zipping, 6 not pipped/zipping yet. Today is hatch day though, so they've got time. Still happy my incubator baby and broody baby hatched at the same time, think I got my temperature right finally.
celebrate.gif
Will get pics to go with everyone else's cute pics.

CG- Got my eggs! Didn't see any broken ones, I'll candle when I have time.
wee.gif

yay!!!!!
so glad none are broken lol.
i was packing them and had a bright idea.
the white foam stuff.
is the stuff the put in my tv box to protect them tv when i got it.
so i pulle it apart and cut pieces to fit where i wanted them.
it must have worked pretty good =)

oh oh oh i forgo to add this to my general update!
my girls are getting feathers in really good now,
they are oo soft and pretty (the feathers, not the girls lol)
the girls are well pretty gangly.
the ducks are 2 but the geese on a larger scale.

5 more years... LOL!! It will be here before you know it. Seems like yesterday that I set these Toulouse eggs. Tomorrow starts day 27.
My SA is almost fully hatched out and my wrong way Ancona is building strength slowly. So happy this hatch is almost done. Can't wait to get a good night's sleep.

It does seem like yesterday when you were getting those eggs. Wow! Congrats on the newbies!

I swear one day i'm gonna video hubby talking to the eggs
lau.gif

LMBO!

I just looked at the calendar. My 3 little feedstore pekins are 3 weeks old today! I don't remember my last pekin baby growing so fast!

They're getting wing feathers! I'm ready to move them into the bathtub, but hubby keeps informing me that the bathtub is for swimming, not brooding. Sheesh, I brooded my last batch in the bathtub and they turned out just fine!

PIcs!

My Sebbie started peeping at me yesterday. Wont be long now. I hope so much that it makes it. I want it so bad. I already named it Sebastian. I have an EE that has externally popped. I can see its tiny little beak sticking out.
All of my sweet BEIs hatched and got moved out with the chickens. My Silkies are making fantastic mommie to all the little ones out there.
All my baby Pekins from the first hatch are all outside living with the big ducks.
I received a dozen call duck eggs and a dozen runner eggs yesterday. Not sure who sent them to me though. But thank you very much whoever did.

yay! I can't wait to see your Sebbie!

Good morning everyone. Thanks Iain for the plug suggestion. They are removed, condensation is gone and the eggs look better. One is starting to come through more but the one that started first has not made anymore progress. I can still see the fast breathing and the beak lifts to the opening every now and then when I am shining the light. So at this point I would say my humidity was definitely too high. So do I let the one be as long as I can see it alive? It pipped about 20 hours ago and is due today. My gut says if it doesn't make progress soon, it is in trouble...

I would start helping at 24 hours. I think 70 said that though after I clicked to quote you. Updates please!

Christine... No maintenance = grower sorry I know what I ment but typed different.
Those looking for Mazuri you WON'T get it from a TSC, they are the Walmart for livestock feed. You have to get it from private feed stores, and then they have to be a purina dealer. If ou visit the Mazuri web site you can search for anyone near you who carries it. I don't use the sinker feed, only the floater. It goes in feed pans, not the water . Then when they drag it to the water it does float and they clean it up nicely. It isn't added directly to their water because each group of ducks/geese gets a blend of feed. The Mazuri is the base and we add whole grains depending on the breed.
Woke up to a Scovy hatched out, all the rest of the eggs in the duck hatcher are pipped and chugging right along.
Set the American geese eggs into their hatcher, lots of pushing in that group. The Sebbies and Poms are half internally pipped. Should be a busy rest of the week.

We have a new feedstore opening in town here.. it's called Trinity tack and feed. It will be feed oriented since it's at the location where the Old Mill Grain used to be. I'm excited to see what they have for chickens.

I want to give a HUGE shoutout to DuchChic as she went to my Scentsy website and placed an ord
er from me. I thank you so much for helping me out with my new venture! !! GOD BLESS YOU!!
QJ I love the Zards BBQ sauce. We finally had ribs last night and we used it and loved them. Thanks so much. Have you ever heard of Big Daddy's BBQ sauce? It was a little hole in the wall shack here that had the best ribs. He had one sauce that was so hot that when somebody ordered it, they called the hospital medics to be there to take the person to the hospital. He had a deal that whoever could eat the ribs with that sauce would win &1000 cash. Well my son, iron stomach, took the challenge and won. Stupid kid. But anyways, thanks again for the sauces, we love them!

yay! I've never heard of it, but let me ask the hubs. He's the BBQ sauce Guru I swear. :)

ep.gif
really guys $40 for 50 lbs of Mazuri

roll.png
Yikes!

Anyone use Purina duck grower? I was thinking about switching over to that. We don't really have a problem with angel wing around here and most of our ducks are raised on purina flock raiser, but I was thinking about switching to the grower since I found it in a feed store nearby.

I use the Dumor which is supposed to be made for TSC by Purina. That's all my TSC has. Besides Purina. Anybody know if that's okay? I've heard it's crap... but I don't have much to choose from until that new feed store opens.

On the feed issue.... I have been using purina start n grow for my waterfowl with no problems. But after using flockraiser for only 2 weeks, my month old drake is getting angelwing (which we will attempt to wrap up today). My adult geese free range and also love my horses' hay. I supplement with rolled oats most of the year and whole kernel corn (per holderreads' recommendation) in the winter, due to our bitter winter climate. I bought the mazuri for my toulouse babies to be... but if it is really that much better than the start n grow, I will probably switch to mazuri for all of my birds.
I forget what I was going to say to you. LOL. Too many quotes I guess!

Hey CG! I'm going to PM you when the kids go down. they're givin' me trouble. :) Whiney today.

Also- someone tell me roughly how long it takes after mating for the spermy to actually "work".

Back
Top Bottom