Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

I feed my dogs the natural food diet. Its not the BARF diet, it is the natural parts of the animals wolves and foxes and etc eat in the wild. The entire animals, nose to toes you might say, except thick bones that are tough to break and dangerous to them. Mine get whole quail (when they cooperate w/ the breeding business), whole fish, chicken necks and backs, and bits of this and that in a general mix I pay the local meat locker to save for me, and I buy in 50 lbs increments after a busy day or two there. I just take them home (from fishing or the locker) and divide them into 3 day portions, that I divy out, and just take out the next few days batch then. I vary it with whats available, culls, or badly injured ducks, etc.....

Evening all, sun burnt and tired after a day outside. Lots of painting and progress on the new open air pens for the chickens. No more coop for them after this weekend.

In the bator: 70 goose eggs, 2 dozen duck eggs, 2 dozen chicken eggs

In the hatchers:
American buff geese
Sebastopol geese
American Blue geese
Grey saddleback Pomeranian geese

Buff ducks
Khaki Cambell ducks
Black and white Scovy
Lavender Ameracuana
OE chicken
EE chicken

In the brooders:
Toulouse geese
Sebastopol geese
African geese
EE chicks

In the yard:
70-80 chickens (black copper marans, Lav and black split Lav Ameracuana, EE, OE, misc brown layers)

African geese (utility bred)
Sebastopols (white, splash, lilac, grey, curly and smooth also saddle back)
SA ducks
French white meat Scovy
Khaki ducks
mandarins
Wood ducks
Call ducks

Rabbits, both meat and lop

Goats both Fainting and Florida native

Adding Florida sheep.

Two Great Pyrenees always on duty

LOL Eyeheart... no worries!! I commend you for feeding BARF. I too enjoy learning about nutrition and health care. When I got my geese, I called Holderreads and talked to them about what to feed and not to feed them. And after two health issues with my ducklings, I am now having my feed store special order mazuri starter and grower for my babies.

Yeah, I don't feed BARF. I feed the prey model diet. I think it is awesome that you are changing to Mazuri. That food sounds amazing but really really spendy for me.

Have no idea. His egg is as hard to candle as a quail egg. Reddish area still looks good though and is growing, so I'm guessing ok.

fl.gif

I feed my dogs the natural food diet. Its not the BARF diet, it is the natural parts of the animals wolves and foxes and etc eat in the wild. The entire animals, nose to toes you might say, except thick bones that are tough to break and dangerous to them. Mine get whole quail (when they cooperate w/ the breeding business), whole fish, chicken necks and backs, and bits of this and that in a general mix I pay the local meat locker to save for me, and I buy in 50 lbs increments after a busy day or two there. I just take them home (from fishing or the locker) and divide them into 3 day portions, that I divy out, and just take out the next few days batch then. I vary it with whats available, culls, or badly injured ducks, etc.....

thumbsup.gif
Almost identical to what I do. I do not feed fruit or veggies either. Some people do.

WOW! Thats alot!!!
Evening all, sun burnt and tired after a day outside. Lots of painting and progress on the new open air pens for the chickens. No more coop for them after this weekend.
In the bator: 70 goose eggs, 2 dozen duck eggs, 2 dozen chicken eggs
In the hatchers:
American buff geese
Sebastopol geese
American Blue geese
Grey saddleback Pomeranian geese
Buff ducks
Khaki Cambell ducks
Black and white Scovy
Lavender Ameracuana
OE chicken
EE chicken
In the brooders:
Toulouse geese
Sebastopol geese
African geese
EE chicks
In the yard:
70-80 chickens (black copper marans, Lav and black split Lav Ameracuana, EE, OE, misc brown layers)
African geese (utility bred)
Sebastopols (white, splash, lilac, grey, curly and smooth also saddle back)
SA ducks
French white meat Scovy
Khaki ducks
mandarins
Wood ducks
Call ducks
Rabbits, both meat and lop
Goats both Fainting and Florida native
Adding Florida sheep.
Two Great Pyrenees always on duty

I didn't mean the label barf to indicate a specific diet plan.... I was using the acronym for bones and raw food. I did not know there were different types of raw food diets.... but how silly of me. Of course there are.

You may think your dog is healthy and perfect coat and blah blah blah perfect but I can guarantee that if you haven't fed them raw, you ain't seen nothin yet! LOL

We're just starting 4H too! Both ruth (12) and Julia (6) love love poultry too, so why not? We ain't gettin' no cows though. Or pigs. (maybe a nice milk goat would be good.....)

What are those tiny milkgoats named? Not the LaManchas (we love those too) but the pygmy or something..... Anyone know?

Nigerian Dwarfs...I have a few....very nice little goats.

Oh, and if you want a REALLY nice milk goat, get a Nubian! We have 2 does, and a buck. Both does are WONDERFUL milkers. Very calm, sweet goats too!
Nubians were what I raised and bred...show quality, heavy milkers. Had a couple different does that each...EACH...gave almost 2 gallons of milk a day!

I used to have Nubians, and Sanaans, as a teenager. Here, I don't have much room for them, so I did have a lovely laMancha doe, but she had a bad habit of standing on her roof. She got sturck by lightening there.
roll.png
I've read about the dwarfs or whatever they are, that only give about 1 qt to 1.5 qts per day. I want to try those. (besides, I don't make near as much cheese as I used to, but I would mind being a speciality goat cheese and organic duck egg producer.)

I like to see a bunch of Saanens grazing....pure white against the green of the grass is so striking!

I had sheep as a kid.. but I pretty much just looked at them.

What do you do with your goats DG?

Last time I was working on my coop at the farm and I said to my dad.. "I was thinking.." and he immediately said, "NO." I was like , "You don't even know what I was going to say!!" and he says, "Oh yes I do.. NO GOATS."

LOL. How did he know that?!?
Because daddy's always know!

Well, they are purple ALL over, I couldn't resist (I'm sorry, beat me up, i deserve it!) So i candled them, and they moved around like a dead body, smelled horrid, were purple ALL over, never interally pipped, and when i candled them, the shell in the air sac was yellow. These 2 also stopped moving around in the egg 2 days before lockdown. So i'm asuming they are gonners?? They smell horrid!!! EKK!

ewwww....good thing they didn't explode in your bator!

Just made my report so hopefully with a few more reports will get this a sticky! Today was better but still rough. Feeding the flock was very haunting not seeing my beautiful boys but the rest of the birds are still very healthy and seem to be coping okay.

hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I feel your pain, Kevin.

I have some of those!
love.gif

White Peking - 23 femalees, 6 males
Khaki Cambell - 32 females, 4 males
Chocolate turkey - 3 lonely hens widowed last thanksgiving
Quail - 11 useless eldery birds that I don't have the heart to free or eat and 4 young unasex birds (waiting for them to crow or lay an egg in another week or two)
Jumbo Peking Duck - Lucky, tried to se, and think its a boy,
I saw a pee pee
3 black sex link pullets (one week old)
1 mille fleur baby
1 bantem barred rock baby
1 "surprise extra" the dude sent for free with the baby bouquet DH brought me last week.
Incubator:
6 midget white turkey
1 choclate turkey
fl.gif
please come out and be a boy! please come out and be a boy! please come out and be a boy!
8 silkies B/B/S
6 sebastopol
5 toulouse
7 pied/lavander/lilac muscovey
maybe more, but I'm too lazy to go check my calander or the bators just now.

Wow....lots of critters...sounds like my place!

Hey, the seller who sold me my WH eggs said she would send more for the price of shipping. Should I say yes? I think she feels bad that only a few may hatch. I think I'm gonna say no. It was my fault they didn't hatch, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom