Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Thank you! Do you think this is enough of a "tilt" for them to stay on for the duration? I know when I actually saw an egg turner I was surprised at how upright the eggs actually were.. but this may be a little too steep. This is the lid to an old bottle/nipple keeper that goes in the dishwasher.. LOL:

I think the tilt is great ~ but that is just me
old.gif

Thanks. I wasn't sure and got impatient (whaaat!!) and set them on their sides like last time. Hopefully that's okay too. It seemed okay then..

Thanks. I wasn't sure and got impatient (whaaat!!) and set them on their sides like last time. Hopefully that's okay too. It seemed okay then..
I used to hatch mine on their sides, but now I set them almost straight up and down, with the pointy side down. I have never seen a change in hatch rate in my bator, but mine is not a typical bator either, so I try not to give to much hatching advice regarding humidity, misting, and temps much.
I have never used a Hovabator or any kind of styrofoam incubator, but since I have been on this thread it is a real learning curve on what works for
~ each person
~ each style of bator
~ Location (state/country) you live in effects incubation too!

There are alot of helpful peeps on here with a plethora of knowledge, tricks, n tips
thumbsup.gif
Just ask away & they will chime in too

Haven't been on in a while, had a lot of catching up to do!
smile.png

How is everyone doing? My 8 ducklings are all growing so quickly. Hoping their voices change soon. I failed miserably on the vent sexing. Either I did it wrong, or I have all girls, lol! I'm hoping for more girls than boys, hubby wants more boys, so he can raise them for meat.
hmm.png

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Ok everyone, yet again I need help. A neighbors dog raided a goose nest and stole an egg. The dog brought it back unharmed to the neighbor but after searching a while for the nest, he told me he couldn't find it. He brought the egg to me because he knew I had just hatched out some ducks. Long story short, it's a Canada goose egg. I have it in my incubator at 99.5 and am dry incubating. Humidity is hovering around 20-25 degrees, with a daily cool down and misting. The problem is I have no idea what the age of the egg is. I have candled and I get a VERY strong heart beat. I almost thought it was internally pipping the first time because it was so strong (it's not, no peeping or beak shadow). In any case, I think it's not far away from hatching, but just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how to proceed with this one. Also, I'm in Alabama and I don't know the exact laws on hatching Canada geese, but time was a factor in this particular instance so I'm not overly concerned about it right at this moment.
Sorry this candling picture is not very good. But you can clearly see a little bump in the internal membrane.

This is how large the air cell is already. Any estimates as to the age and how I should proceed?

Ok everyone, yet again I need help. A neighbors dog raided a goose nest and stole an egg. The dog brought it back unharmed to the neighbor but after searching a while for the nest, he told me he couldn't find it. He brought the egg to me because he knew I had just hatched out some ducks. Long story short, it's a Canada goose egg. I have it in my incubator at 99.5 and am dry incubating. Humidity is hovering around 20-25 degrees, with a daily cool down and misting. The problem is I have no idea what the age of the egg is. I have candled and I get a VERY strong heart beat. I almost thought it was internally pipping the first time because it was so strong (it's not, no peeping or beak shadow). In any case, I think it's not far away from hatching, but just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how to proceed with this one. Also, I'm in Alabama and I don't know the exact laws on hatching Canada geese, but time was a factor in this particular instance so I'm not overly concerned about it right at this moment.
Sorry this candling picture is not very good. But you can clearly see a little bump in the internal membrane.

This is how large the air cell is already. Any estimates as to the age and how I should proceed?

You could hatch it and then bring it to a wildlife sanctuary to raise and release. The air cell looks pretty big, so I bet it's getting close to hatching.

Last edited:
I used to hatch mine on their sides, but now I set them almost straight up and down, with the pointy side down. I have never seen a change in hatch rate in my bator, but mine is not a typical bator either, so I try not to give to much hatching advice regarding humidity, misting, and temps much.
I have never used a Hovabator or any kind of styrofoam incubator, but since I have been on this thread it is a real learning curve on what works for
~ each person
~ each style of bator
~ Location (state/country) you live in effects incubation too!

There are alot of helpful peeps on here with a plethora of knowledge, tricks, n tips
thumbsup.gif
Just ask away & they will chime in too
Well said! I'm going through the cabinet bator learning curve right now. All I need is test eggs.
You could hatch it and then bring it to a wildlife sanctuary to raise and release. The air cell looks pretty big, so I bet it's getting close to hatching.
x2!

I just hatched a gosling from an egg a week ago that had been almost eaten by a dog. Odd circumstance, but those little goosies are tough.

Last edited:
Candled my Pekin eggs just now. I only set them Wed evening but, of course, I couldn't stand it. All eight eggs have a "defined edges" blob in the midst of the "yolk blob".. lol. So I'm going to assume that means I'm off to a good start? :fingerscrossed:

Oh! And I've moved my bator into my closet as opposed to beside my bed. Temp is staying steady as a rock! :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom