Timid Dog Help?

chickenpal147

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Labadie Missouri
My neighbors have a puppy mill rescue dog and have had him for 3 months now, he is finally starting to warm up to her. My neighbors had to leave town for a few days and have asked me to watch their dogs. The puppy mill rescue is so timid and scared of me that he won’t come to me when called so he has to be on a leash when they go out, and he is scared of me that he won’t move and I have to slowly pick him up to get him back in the house. Usually I go slow with him and let him decide to go in the house on his own time, basically when he walks I walk. So my question is how do I how about taking care of him without making him terrified and setting him back with his trust issues. Also he won’t take treats from me in any way, by hand or off the floor. Any advice would be great.

Don't worry about the treats. Since he is on a leash can you just sit on the ground outside while he goes potty. If in the house just sit in the same room as him. Don't try to pet him. He will warm up to you on his terms. Don't take it personal, prior owners didn't teach him or interact with him. Be patient. A small reward for you is him sitting closer to you.

So I should also note that because he is from a puppy mill he won’t eat from a bowl and has to eat from the floor, so the other dogs have to be feed and locked in the laundry room. I think in the morning I’m going to try and feed him by tossing his food a few pieces at a time to him and see how that goes.

Don't worry about the treats. Since he is on a leash can you just sit on the ground outside while he goes potty. If in the house just sit in the same room as him. Don't try to pet him. He will warm up to you on his terms. Don't take it personal, prior owners didn't teach him or interact with him. Be patient. A small reward for you is him sitting closer to you.
I do sit on the ground outside with him for a while when I let them out. Right now I’m sitting in the living room playing with their other dogs ignoring him as he sits here barking at me for the last 20 minutes or so. We did do a meet and greet kind of thing for a few hours with the little guy before they went out of town just to get him somewhat ok with me, that didn’t go so well.

You may already be doing this but talking calmly to him. Maybe talk about your day, that everything is okay, etc.

My dogs have separation anxiety, and country music calms them, it doesn't have to be too loud because dog hearing is better than ours.

I'm thinking his is barking at you because he really wants to play but doesn't know how and he is afraid. I recommend ear buds for these times.

You may already be doing this but talking calmly to him. Maybe talk about your day, that everything is okay, etc.

My dogs have separation anxiety, and country music calms them, it doesn't have to be too loud because dog hearing is better than ours.

I'm thinking his is barking at you because he really wants to play but doesn't know how and he is afraid. I recommend ear buds for these times.
I would like to think that’s how he is trying to play but his owners even said that he doesn’t play not even with their other dogs. But I will continue to ignore him till he stops and comes up to me on his own time.

Being in a puppy mill chances are he was in a cage his whole life so he doesn't know how to be a dog or speak dog. The momma dogs teach their babies the appropriate behavior, they put the babies in check when they are doing something wrong, and the puppies learn from each other. He didn't get that and he may never. But he can have a happy life and his space when needed.
My parents rescued a dog and it took about 6 months for her to not flinch when you slowly went to scratch her and it took another year for her to let you use two hands. She never fully loved sitting on our laps, 5 minutes was the maximum she could handle. But she was a great girl!

So I should also note that because he is from a puppy mill he won’t eat from a bowl and has to eat from the floor, so the other dogs have to be feed and locked in the laundry room. I think in the morning I’m going to try and feed him by tossing his food a few pieces at a time to him and see how that goes.
Since the other dogs are in the laundry room, you could even make a trail of food to come near you but still far enough away that he will still eat and not be too scared to eat after you try this. He just needs time.

I think he is starting to warm up to me. He is walking around on the leash and not so scared that I have to wait for him to move. If I move he follows. He still won’t get close to me but baby steps.

Some dogs are timid by nature also. I had a shepherd who if you did not know would think she was abused but she was not, just poor breeding. All you can do is be patient and maybe get a longer leash to give the dog some space. Tiny liver or chicken tidbits might entice it be your friend also.

Back
Top Bottom