Tips on growing sunflowers...

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
I want to garden, but the weather's been bipolar and seems to snow whenever I have a day off work. At least this year it's kept me from planting anything prematurely.

I have many challenges here beside the weather and I am trying to learn what actually grows and take tips from those who have had more success than I. (I planted catmint last year on a neighbor recommendation and the prairie dogs naturally don't eat it and it's already starting to grow back this year!)

I have noticed sunflowers growing successfully at other homes in the town last summer and thought maybe this is something I could grow, and while not the vegetable I lust for, it's not just eye candy either because the chickens would love the seeds.

Any tips on planting, growing, harvesting sunflowers? How do you choose what kind? Is there a kind that's better for chickens? A kind that's better in cold climates/short growing season?

I can say this; when they say they will get up to 12’ they mean it! The first year I grew sunflowers I essentially made a canopy over the garden. So my advice is choose the type and the spot where you plant carefully!
Here’s a picture from that year. See the tomatoes begging for some sun? Oops.
81C55736-5AAA-4F11-B892-5EB8FF8F7D22.jpeg

I can say this; when they say they will get up to 12’ they mean it! The first year I grew sunflowers I essentially made a canopy over the garden. So my advice is choose the type and the spot where you plant carefully!
View attachment 1377200
wow, those are big plants. Poor tomatoes....

View attachment 1377200

What sort of soil depth do they need? I'm debating between 2 spots on my property.

I planted Mammoth Sunflowers this year. They are at 6' and starting to bud. The 12' are impressive. Definitely give them plenty of space. Raised beds will just make them taller. If you are growing chicken feed, plant the BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) and let the chickens clean up.

Mine will eat the petals off the Black-eyed Susans. These are a smaller sunflower relative.

Back
Top Bottom