thank you! i bet your roo is too would love to see him.
Your welcome, I'm glad you asked! šŸ¤—
Mary (Welsummer) on the left, Blossom, (EE) on the right!
The sweetest boys ever. šŸ˜„
IMG_2257.jpg

Nice cock birds have been raised so many different ways, and jerks have been raised the same 'many different ways'. It's because genetics matter a lot in determining rooster behavior. Some breeds and family lines will have a higher % of either polite or human aggressive cockerels, and each cockerel is an individual who could grow up either way.
Cockerels raised in a mixed age flock tend to learn better social skills from the adult hens and roosters, rather than those running amok with hatchmates only.
If a cockerel decides to attack hatchmates or the giants who bring food every day, it's difficult/ impossible to really 'fix' that behavior. Truly well behaved cockerels never have bad thoughts or act out towards humans! They are busy paying attention to their flockmates, and learning to watch out for actual threats, and avoiding unnecessary human interactions.
When we start out with chickens, we all tend to make excuses for cockerels who are jerks, and put up with miserable and dangerous behaviors from them. Over time, many of us learn better! There are so many nice roosters, why try to live with one who's stalking people, who can really injure especially small humans, like children. And do we really want offspring of the idiot?
I want my roosters to be polite when handled, but in general I take a 'hands off' approach with them. They have work to do, and I can make pets of the hens if I have any that are super social.
Mary
ahh i see, i hatched out my cochin never knowing what the parents were like maybe it was genetics for that one. but i also had 2 other roos, ones a sebright (can't be called friendly but not really the most evil roo around), and a phoenix (who was over protective of his territory, leaving holes in your feet if you come in with sandals, and was also over breeding the hens even with a lot of hens) they both eventually had to go.

Hoping this roo came from more friendly parents than my previous roos. Would be heartbreaking to get rid of a chick that i interact a lot with. i do see that he is respectful of the other chicks, breaking up fights, not needlessly attacking the others like the two other cocks that are raised with him.

Your welcome, I'm glad you asked! šŸ¤—
Mary (Welsummer) on the left, Blossom, (EE) on the right!
The sweetest boys ever. šŸ˜„
View attachment 2859083
beautiful roos you have! i have a soft spot for EEs although they are not available where im from, maybe some day someone will bring over some eggs here. these past few years people just started bringing in some interesting chickens as the chicken hobby is growing more and more here and chickens are no longer seen as just farm animals.

beautiful roos you have! i have a soft spot for EEs although they are not available where im from, maybe some day someone will bring over some eggs here. these past few years people just started bringing in some interesting chickens as the chicken hobby is growing more and more here and chickens are no longer seen as just farm animals.
Thank you, I miss them dearly. :hugs

I do too, I've always tried for another wellie roo, but...I've never gotten one again.

Back
Top Bottom