To all irresponsible dog owners; UPDATE; THE LEGACY CONTINUES!!!!!

Quote:
Thank you-I did NOT expect them to survive at all as they were eggs that went through a high humidity for lockdown of the chicks that hatched last week-I didnt have a back up bator at that time and just prayed and wung it! So when I got up this am to see 4 of them! I was dumbfounded for sure-day 24 would have started at 4 pm today! good luck I wish you the best!

I will keep my fingers crossed that Chloes eggs hatch. I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad it seems like the dog problem may be solved now.

Irresponsible dog ownership makes me crazy! There's a difference between a dog that got out by accident and the owners are horrified and apologetic and a dog that gets out all the time and the owners are just blowing smoke up your bum saying it won't happen again. I think I'm a pretty good judge of someones true intentions.

DH lost his entire flock of chicks twice as a child to dogs. His grandmother put an 8 year old boy in charge of building a coop.... not fair to him. He was devastated. He's building me a chicken "fortress" this go round he's determined that our kids and me won't go through what he did. He tells me I can't imagine how terrible it is cleaning up a yard full of "feathers and carnage".
sad.png

Theres a dog in our neighborhood they just can't keep penned in... cause their pen is a joke is why. Last year it killed three of my neighbors chickens, if he'd been home her DH would have shot it. My DH has made our fence secure, but if the stupid thing is dumb enough to try it he'll be waiting.
sad.png

Maybe if the eggs don't hatch her mama will set some new eggs for you. It is chick season too, maybe a couple new fluffy butts would brighten up your day.

hugs.gif
I am soooo sorry. My neighbors dog continues to harrass me so I know where you are coming from. SSS works if you can get a bead on his head. The dog warden does nothing I even caught the dogs and the pound gave them back. I have lost 2 goats and 25-30 chickens from this monster.

hugs.gif
for your loss and
fl.gif
that the eggs hatch. I don't understand some owners. I have a beagle mix that can and has jumped a 6 foot privacy fence. So to keep him in the yard a got a lead/run a long leash so he could run the back yard but no jump over the fence. I just don't understand how some people can just let their dogs run.
hu.gif

Thank you everyone. Chloe's mom Wishbone IS broody again and her eggs are due around the first week of May. And she will see it through come hell or high water, so I know we will have more chickies. Izzie Lou, another faithful broody, is out there setting too. Otherwise, I would've been camped outside TSC's door already waiting for their next shipment of (400!) chicks and ducklings. But I am still praying Chloe's eggs hatch..even one...
fl.gif

The dog issue...just made me sad b/c obviously the dog's owners cared enough about it to pick it up, or, I guess it was probably the owners, the county isn't that fast. And what a sad ending for any dog, b/c as a lot of people have said, it's not the dog's fault. Why GET a dog if you're just gonna let it run and run like that?

I can understand shooting wild animals but I couldn't shoot a dog or cat for that matter. That's about as close to shooting a human as it gets. I could use a paintball gun or something like that to scare them away.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I have only experienced "scaring them away" working a couple of times. They will come back unless the experience or location is associated with pain or discomfort.

Quote:
Because wild animals usually strike when you are away or asleep. You usually never have the opportunity to scare them away. And if you even did manage to scare them away, they would just come back for their easy meal.

"I don't understand shooting wild animals. Why not scare them away, too?"

I think there are probably ways to do this without shooting them too. For example, people often times keep a donkey or llama to protect their herd of sheep from coyotes. I believe the American Bulldog was originally bred to attack roving bands of dogs that happen to be looking for a meal on your property. You can use other animals for protection. Key point being that almost always the "protector" would have to be raised with the animals it is supposed to protect.

My two cents

Back
Top Bottom