To Duck or not to Duck - Nearby Neighbors

Hmmm. Then maybe for my neighbors’ sake I need to go back to the hens idea. They were fine with the hens before; not sure if they’d feel the same about quacks. Sad.
What breed were you thinking? I know calls like @Aunt Angus mentioned are loud! My pekin is my loudest. I’ve heard that a lot, that pekins are loud. My other 2 loud mouths are Saxonys. Not sure if quack volume is breed related or personality related. My flock SEEMS to me to be breed related.

My khaki, welshies & Cayugas I rarely even hear quack and when they do it’s quiet.

Hmmm. Then maybe for my neighbors’ sake I need to go back to the hens idea. They were fine with the hens before; not sure if they’d feel the same about quacks. Sad.
Shoot - if you CAN legally have ducks, then have ducks! I can legally have any kind of livestock. My neighbors are far enough away that it doesn't really matter, but if they were closer, they would have to tolerate the noise because of the ordinances.

What breed were you thinking? I know calls like @Aunt Angus mentioned are loud! My pekin is my loudest. I’ve heard that a lot, that pekins are loud. My other 2 loud mouths are Saxonys. Not sure if quack volume is breed related or personality related. My flock SEEMS to me to be breed related.

My khaki, welshies & Cayugas I rarely even hear quack and when they do it’s quiet.
I was considering cayugas, khakis, or welsh. I like the goofy look of runner ducks, but heard they frighten more easily so thought they might be louder? But I haven’t been able to find a reliable noise comparison anywhere 😬.

Shoot - if you CAN legally have ducks, then have ducks! I can legally have any kind of livestock. My neighbors are far enough away that it doesn't really matter, but if they were closer, they would have to tolerate the noise because of the ordinances.
I can legally have them UNLESS they become a “nuisance,” either because they escape OR because “a reasonable person finds the noise or smell a nuisance when standing at or within their property line.”

Sooo…not sure how that would play out if someone decided to call the ordinance police (or whatever they are called) about quacks? 🤔

I also don’t want to be on the ordinance peoples’ radar, period. And honestly I would prefer not to bug my neighbors. Wish I could rent a few ducks for a couple days and see what everyone thinks 🤣.

I can legally have them UNLESS they become a “nuisance,” either because they escape OR because “a reasonable person finds the noise or smell a nuisance when standing at or within their property line.”

Sooo…not sure how that would play out if someone decided to call the ordinance police (or whatever they are called) about quacks? 🤔

I also don’t want to be on the ordinance peoples’ radar, period. And honestly I would prefer not to bug my neighbors. Wish I could rent a few ducks for a couple days and see what everyone thinks 🤣.
Maybe you could! Lol! Find someone who has some and borrow them.

20221106_121432.jpg

This was November....the grass use to be green all up to the duck on the left. That is a low spot in our yard...means puddles, standing water...which means ducks favorite place...
20221206_084958.jpg

December...the green is slowing fading into brown spots where the ducks mostly walk...
I don't have a pic of this week, but imagine probaly 90% brown now with not much green left.

We will be fencing ducks off to the side of the house where their house is, not pictured. While we reseed and put drainage along the fence to help with the standing water, bad drainage we deal with.

We hope to sell our house this spring/summer and move onto acreage. That was always the plan, just didn't realize the ducks could do so much lawn damage in a short time frame...but we still love them and have a plan...so I think just be prepared and you will be okay!

Also the quacking from mine are only loud when they get treats or are hungry. My females really "QUACK, QUACK, QUACK" about 3 or 4 quacks and then they quiet down. All during waking hrs...I think if it doesn't fall in "quiet time" 10pm to 7am ish, I feel like people have nothing to complain about. Especially since they don't quack all day. Most of the mid morning and afternoon they sleep right back the back door and make no noise lol!
20230126_133655.jpg

I don't have the dark one anymore (too many drakes), just down to 3 😊

Edit: to add....flies, be prepared for flies in the summer....being mid winter I totally forgot about that...

Fleas and ticks: The folks next door have told me the ticks are way down since my flock of six moved in. I also have a daily mouser cat... so he might contribute by helping eradicate the host animals.

Nuisance: I was worried about this as I have 'its legal as long as no one complains' zoning. All the neighbors say they love the ducks. Then one of the neighbors got 2 geese. I borrowed the pair, he moved, and now I have 6. The neighbors say they like the geese too.

Ancona ducks. Gossipy chatter teenage phase where they discuss everything, but mostly quiet as adults ... until one decides yelling would be fun.

Back
Top Bottom