To wash. Or not to wash. That, is the question.

Do you wash your eggs?

• Yes

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 28.4%
  • Only when VISIBLY dirty.

Votes: 74 45.7%

• Total voters
I for one don't like chicken poop and dirt in my fridge where other food goes, so I'm on the washing side :lol: I'm not concerned about getting salmonella from the eggs, I just think it's disgusting putting feces and other things it collects from being on the ground in my fridge exposed to other foods.

Good thread :thumbsup
My husband is of this camp, too, so we wash 'em!

I wash and refrigerate all my eggs when they come in the house.
I also leave my chore shoes an the outside step, and wash my hands before i touch my refigerator door, my counter or anything else. I have been doing this for 50 years and never given myself a bad egg.
Try selling eggs in a grocery store, one section labled washed, the other unwashed, and guess which would sell first.
200 years ago when our ancestors were living in soddy huts, or crossing the prarie in covered wagons. Im sure they did neither, but i have electicity and running water.
But Im glad to know that if i have to, like the power grid fails, or the zombie apocalipse comes. I can safely leave my eggs unwashed on the counter.

Don't forget that the FDA is also now saying that Antibacterial soap is hurting more than it is helping. So very often we're finding that these new excessive clean practices are actually not as good as we'd like to expect. Microbiology is not as cut and dry as "washing is always better". I don't recall any other nations in the world having nearly as serious of Salmonella outbreaks from chicken eggs as the US, and we're the only ones in the world that wash eggs routinely...

I have ducks, so they are always visibly dirty therefore I always wash... I didn't vote b/c I'd have to choose option 1 and 3.

So then I'd say you fall under the category of "Only when VISIBLY dirty" because you're only washing them because they're visibly dirty lol.

Aren’t we like one of the only countries that washes and refrigerate eggs?

I rarely wash. I feel like it’s safer. I’m not the FDA, I don’t know enough about the handling and storage once they’ve been refrigerated. I, personally, feel it’s safer to give my friends and family room temperature eggs. Then, I’m not concerned at all how long they may be OUT of the fridge.

If an egg is super dirty, I usually store it in a carton with other super dirties until I have enough to scramble and give back to the girls. Wash them right before using.

I keep all my eggs in an egg holder on the counter unwashed for our use, right into cartons for friends to put in the pantry

Yes, the USA is the only country that washes and refrigerates eggs, but that's due to the lack of cleanliness in our egg farms and the transportation practices as well as potential other contaminates. And I can completely understand non-refrigeration, because if you bring out refrigerated eggs and let them sit for a while they begin to condensate and wash off the protective bloom, thus allowing contaminates into the egg. In the scenario where you intend on transporting them after they're already cold, then yes washing is the solution. :p

I guess Im wondering if my opinion is wrong here. In Europe and a lot of places eggs are left out. I thought this was due to the non washing which removed the protective coating that can allow things to seep into the egg.

Here in the US all our eggs are washed before heading to the store so they do need to be refrigerated.

To add, we just have a small flock of 15 chickens free range in a reasonable suburban backyard and the coops get poop scooped daily by my mom. We leave eggs out until cooking and I doubt we have salmonella. We do wash right before cooking to remove grossness if it occurs. Usually the eggs are very clean though without washing. It's rare that anything gross is on the eggs

Correct, we wash them thus they MUST be refrigerated. But refrigeration is also beneficial to extending the shelf life of eggs that aren't washed as well. Thus I do not wash (to protect the eggs from bacteria) and I refrigerate to extend their lifespan.

If the eggs are not dirty why wash them. The bloom is very important for freshness. Do a experiment put a washed egg and a unwashed egg in the fridge for 2weeks you’ll SEE the difference in the white of the egg quite clearly. Then cook them...taste them bet you’ll never wash your eggs again. Why wash off the natural antibacterial coating??? If you refrigerate to extend shelf life. Try this experiment. ;)

For freshness and protection. The extra fresh taste is just an added benefit to the longer lifespan and lack of foreign bacteria inside the egg. I don't wash AND refrigerate them so I get the best of both worlds. But they do stay in their own cartons when in the fridge.

I voted yes BUT with a huge caveat. Rather than explain here's the best demonstration of what I actually do to my eggs! Check it out!

Very nice video! Although I can see the benefit in doing it that way, the only reason why she's doing the mineral oil is BECAUSE the bloom is washed off. From my understanding (and I COULD be wrong) you will still get 6-9 months of storage time from unwashed eggs as long as the bloom is intact.

And washing runs the risk of introducing bacteria into the egg during the washing process and the drying process. With not washing, then I know the egg is protected at all times and there never is the time when bacteria can permeate into the egg...

Back
Top Bottom