Took care of 2 abandoned kittens

Really funny that I can't even post about kittens without people posting about other stuff. Looks like I really will leave this website.. I had decided to stay a bit longer but now I see I can't even post here like I wanted.

Really funny that I can't even post about kittens without people posting about other stuff. Looks like I really will leave this website.. I had decided to stay a bit longer but now I see I can't even post here like I wanted.
That is unfortunate and I hate to see you leave. Some people just want to cause drama. It might be worth while to ignore those people. I have had to do my fair share because some people cannot focus on the topic. I think it is wonderful that you were able to give these kittens a home. I think that the OP that called you out shoild see that you are trading a life for another that you could not prevent.

That is unfortunate and I hate to see you leave. Some people just want to cause drama. It might be worth while to ignore those people. I have had to do my fair share because some people cannot focus on the topic. I think it is wonderful that you were able to give these kittens a home. I think that the OP that called you out shoild see that you are trading a life for another that you could not prevent.
Well, I basically got them to the humane society but I guess that's still a home. At the very least, it's a shelter.

I've had rescue cats off and on growing up and most of my family and friends have rescue cats.

But when the neighbor's stray cat (he feeds it sometimes but that's about it) had kittens in the loft of his garage next door they didn't know not to attack my chickens/go into my fenced lawn.
I'd previously asked a bunch of 'cat rescue' people I knew to borrow some live traps to get the local cats into shelters and basically got told to heck off because the outdoor cats had a right to be there on my land in my chicken pen somehow. I've spent years training dogs including mine but some dogs have too much of a drive to truly be trustworthy and that space is theirs. Not to mention, they're trained to also drive off predators. That's their job. It's got a fence for a reason and they need it for good exercise. The whole point is to give them an off leash space. The chicken pen is in that space.
My dogs defend my chickens, usually just scaring things off, but one day one of the neighbor kittens was in the chicken pen, the dogs went out. I saw something white (IE not a wild animal) and called for them to stop but dogs are fast and it was over before I saw it.
One dead kitten later and I worked with the neighbor to finally get at least a TNR out who took the rest of the kittens and fixed mama cat. None of the usual "cat rescue" people I knew would touch the situation because the kittens might "be someones" and "deserved to live free". Funny, now one wasn't living at all, free or not.

Dogs that protect chickens kill cats sometimes. Cats harass chickens sometimes. It doesn't mean I don't love cats - I do. I'm happy to pet and play with my friends and sisters cats. I'd own my own if my partners allergies allowed. But my dogs doing their job by killing a cat in my chicken pen is going to happens sometimes. And it's foolish to think every dog can be stopped from chasing or killing. Ultimately, I think ya'll harassing the OP for no reason here. They're allowed to love their dogs that kill cats, their chickens who could get killed by cats, AND rescue cats. It's not contrary. It's pretty normal and it happens a lot in areas with a lot of strays. Dogs and cats don't always mix even when there's no chickens involved and the cats rarely win.

Back
Top Bottom