Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

If they're laying, Layena is fine for them, or just go with Purina Flock Raiser, but make sure you have oyster shell on the side... as for the pond pump and filter, I would talk to @shawluvsbirds she has a nice, small setup... :)
We actually don't have a pump or filter. Just a buried stock tank with a sink drain installed in the bottom and plumbed out to a larger pond. We plan to collect rain water from the gutters so water changes can be frequent. A filter system would be a great addition though. . if we could figure out a good way to do it.
20171217_160113.jpg
20171210_142529_HDR.jpg
20171210_142556_HDR.jpg
20171210_160934_HDR.jpg
20171217_152746.jpg

We actually don't have a pump or filter. Just a buried stock tank with a sink drain installed in the bottom and plumbed out to a larger pond. We plan to collect rain water from the gutters so water changes can be frequent. A filter system would be a great addition though. . if we could figure out a good way to do it. View attachment 1230395 View attachment 1230396 View attachment 1230398 View attachment 1230399 View attachment 1230401

Ah, oops! It's @Steven Mazzo that has a pump and filter, I believe... your setup is still absolutely amazing!!! :love :drool :love :drool

For me personally I don't see the advantage in possibly changing the nutrient content from the original formula.

X2. Plus, I know someone here on BYC whose friend's entire flock was killed by fermented feed. She sent one of the dead ones in for necropsy and the report came back indicating that they died of an issue that was directly caused by the fermented feed. Maybe the feed wasn't fermented properly, but for me, it's not the worth the risk of something like that happening for the benefits people say they get from feeding it. Mine do fine on regular feed, so why try to fix what isn't broken?

Do anyone sprout grains for ducks? i sprout barley for my chickens (and give a homemade dry grain/lentil etc mix). I am getting ducks this spring and I've been reading up on feed and the differences in duck needs. but it seems most people buy a comercial feed.
Will ducks eat sprouted grains? As anyone tried?

Congratulations!

Seeing how they like veggies I think they will hammer sprouts.
I just found out that cherry tomatoes are duck crack.:wee

I think I have a bunch of tomato addicts now...

Things I have learned in last 36 hours.

1. Fermented feed tastes like fishy oatmeal porridge. My ducks like dry.
2. Tomatoes are crack and it spoils them for at least an half hour.
3. I can operate on 30 minute naps every hour and half.

Springtime Ducks are love! :love

I'm very interested in the main feed for ducks. My vet said to put them on duck specific feed and take them off of purina. Vet said layer type for her and maintenance for him. The problem is....finding this type of feed!! Does anyone use duck specific feed? Where do you find it? Cost? What is the name brand you use?

Only thing I know of in the US is Mazuri, and Mazuri is expensive. To the tune of $40 per bag. I would ask the vet if that's what they had in mind or if they could recommend something else.

Funnily enough, Mazuri feeds are actually made by Purina.

Hi,

The vet told me that what I was feeding them was formatted for chickens more then ducks and that they were getting too much of one vitamin and not enough of others.... (it was a very hectic visit as the vet was having an emergency when she was in my appt)

I have to call them anyways tomorrow and will get a better understanding of why

Waiting to hear what they say :pop Did they do a blood draw to analyze the vitamin levels? Sorry, I'm a nosy vet tech student.

Can ducks eat hen layer? That’s what I plan to feed my ducks when I get them come spring. Also any thoughts on ducks and chickens living together? I also have a rooster.
If you are planning on getting ducklings, don't feed them layer feed until they actually start laying. It doesn't have enough protein for growing ducks and too much calcium. If you do give chick feed make sure you add extra niacin. Many folks, including myself, prefer to use brewers yeast for that. There is a lot of info here on BYC regarding where to find it and the dosage. In an ideal world, growing ducklings require different amounts of protein as they age. I find it much easier to feed all my birds Flock Raiser with 20% protein for all stages of life. I don't give treats for the first few weeks so they get enough protein. So far this is working very well.

As for housing chickens and ducks together, for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I house my chickens and ducks together in the barn. They free range all day. I haven't had any serious problems. There have been the occasional peeking or chasing but it's never serious and seems to be normal hierarchy stuff. There is plenty of room for those getting pecked to get away and out of sight/reach.

Back
Top Bottom