Total loss of little babies as of 2day=3

It helps to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, and have a warm area of around 90 degrees under the lamp and a cooler area to get to. Totes can get pretty warm, somyou might consider another type of brooder.

Bantams can be very delicate at first, at least mine were when they were altogether in the beginning. After 2 weeks they seemed fine. A lot depends too on if they had any shipping stress in transit to the feed store, or if they were able to get enough food and water, or suffered from pasty butt. When I bring home chicks or they come in the mail, they all get their beaks dipped into the water and feed. Having a drop or two of Poultry NutriDrench can help too. I check for pasty vents every day for the first week, and for 10 days if they have it.
I have one on the floor it was 90 degrees and they had more then enough room to move around. I only had 6 of them inside a 70gal container. The same I raised my bantams in past year. I used the nutridrench drops in their water offered them regular water and i also make sure to dip their beaks into it. She was the only one who had pasty butt i took care of it as soon as i got her and saw she had it. They were late arriving in not sure if that had anything to do with the way things played out.

Have you treated for cocidosis?
I lost one and almost lost another. I was sure she was not going to make it a couple of times, but after a 5 day tx of corid and then treating with thiamine (I used poly-sol for infants no iron) she was healthy and happy and walking again.
I did not see any blood in their poop, although I thought the brooder smelled strongly of poop even after cleaning.
She is smaller than the rest of the chicks at 8 weeks but is healthy.
I understand this may not be the problem, but I feel like it is worth a try.

I'd like to add, don't beat yourself up. I admire your courage and fortitude in dealing with suffering. I am so sorry that you had to deal with this.

Have you treated for cocidosis?
I lost one and almost lost another. I was sure she was not going to make it a couple of times, but after a 5 day tx of corid and then treating with thiamine (I used poly-sol for infants no iron) she was healthy and happy and walking again.
I did not see any blood in their poop, although I thought the brooder smelled strongly of poop even after cleaning.
She is smaller than the rest of the chicks at 8 weeks but is healthy.
I understand this may not be the problem, but I feel like it is worth a try.
I haven’t tried treating for cocidosis it doesn’t smell strongly in their brooder and their poops are ok. Should i still treat them anyways?

When this happens, I put them in the incubator so they can at least die a peaceful-ish warm death. The only time one survived that was when I made him drink a bit of ACV water (1 tsp ACV per qt water) and put him in the incubator. The next morning I was surprised to see him still kicking. The kid did end up dying a few days later from coccidiosis while we were waiting on the medicine to be delivered, sadly.

When this happens, I put them in the incubator so they can at least die a peaceful-ish warm death. The only time one survived that was when I made him drink a bit of ACV water (1 tsp ACV per qt water) and put him in the incubator. The next morning I was surprised to see him still kicking. The kid did end up dying a few days later from coccidiosis while we were waiting on the medicine to be delivered, sadly.
That’s sad poor baby. I still can never get use to losing one i still freak out like it’s my first time! What do u mean? U made him drink ACV and put him back in incubator for what?

If you suspect they are not eating as the cause of death, it could be lack of grit. My sick chicks sleep indoors where its warm, then I move them out in the day and observe their eating. If they peck around at grit then I know they are doing better.

Don't be hard on yourself. You are giving them already a nice life even if it's short. There is nothing wrong with letting them die peacefully in a comfortable place instead of killing them.

Back
Top Bottom