Traditional Serama

Hello,

So I came across this thread while looking into seramas as my partner really wants to get a few. We currently raise heritage large breed, but these chickies are just too cute to pass up. Do any of you sell or rehome some of your girls? I love the look of the males, but we aren't supposed to have roos here in town :( Unless they don't crow. If they don't crow I don't see any reason why I couldn't have a roo lol. Also I know they are small birds, but do they get along with bigger breed girls if the bigger breeds are well tempered? I only ask because I had posted in my local group here in town to see if anyone had any or knew where I could get some and I was told not to mix my heritage girls with Seramas even though my girls are really well tempered and have been with chicks that I bought and introduced at 4 weeks of age for about three weeks now with not a single issue. Also another question for you all. Do they fly? I let my girls free range during the day but none of them fly, and I could see flying being an issue.

Thanks for you help

Cam

Here is a picture of my chickies just for fun

What a knock out she is!
smile.png
Thank ya ;)

Hello, So I came across this thread while looking into seramas as my partner really wants to get a few. We currently raise heritage large breed, but these chickies are just too cute to pass up. Do any of you sell or rehome some of your girls? I love the look of the males, but we aren't supposed to have roos here in town :( Unless they don't crow. If they don't crow I don't see any reason why I couldn't have a roo lol. Also I know they are small birds, but do they get along with bigger breed girls if the bigger breeds are well tempered? I only ask because I had posted in my local group here in town to see if anyone had any or knew where I could get some and I was told not to mix my heritage girls with Seramas even though my girls are really well tempered and have been with chicks that I bought and introduced at 4 weeks of age for about three weeks now with not a single issue. Also another question for you all. Do they fly? I let my girls free range during the day but none of them fly, and I could see flying being an issue. Thanks for you help Cam Here is a picture of my chickies just for fun
Gee, I'm sorry no one has answered your questions. Let me try as best I can. Seramas can live with LF but it is a trial and error thing, depends on the hens and how they get along. Serama do fly and are very good at it. Free ranging them without supervision would be dangerous because cats/ hawks/ possums and the like, can take them for snacks [yuck] where as a LF is safe. I honestly do not know of any breeders in IA. There are breeders in neighboring states. Seramas are little birds with BIG personalities.

Gee, I'm sorry no one has answered your questions. Let me try as best I can.
Seramas can live with LF but it is a trial and error thing, depends on the hens and how they get along. Serama do fly and are very good at it. Free ranging them without supervision would be dangerous because cats/ hawks/ possums and the like, can take them for snacks [yuck] where as a LF is safe. I honestly do not know of any breeders in IA. There are breeders in neighboring states. Seramas are little birds with BIG personalities.
Ditto

I don't have any seramas yet but I am thinking about breeding/raising them. I have been thinking about breeding some type of chicken for a while, after I went to the chicken show today I decided I wanted to breed seramas. I came to this thread to get so me tips about raising and breeding them - how much room they need per chicken, what type of environment they need to breed, stuff like that- I hope you guys can help me.

Hello,

So I came across this thread while looking into seramas as my partner really wants to get a few. We currently raise heritage large breed, but these chickies are just too cute to pass up. Do any of you sell or rehome some of your girls? I love the look of the males, but we aren't supposed to have roos here in town :( Unless they don't crow. If they don't crow I don't see any reason why I couldn't have a roo lol.The roos aren't very loud, they sound more like toys. Also I know they are small birds, but do they get along with bigger breed girls if the bigger breeds are well tempered? I suggest you build another, but smaller, coop. I only ask because I had posted in my local group here in town to see if anyone had any or knew where I could get some and I was told not to mix my heritage girls with Seramas even though my girls are really well tempered and have been with chicks that I bought and introduced at 4 weeks of age for about three weeks now with not a single issue. Also another question for you all. Do they fly? yes, they do, they fly very well -unfortunately. I let my girls free range during the day but none of them fly, and I could see flying being an issue. I suggest you fence off an area of your yard and cover it so the hawks can't get to them. With bantams hawks can normally have take-out unless it is a bantam of a big chicken, but these are small birds and even a small hawk could take one away.

Thanks for you help

Cam

Here is a picture of my chickies just for fun

I hope you take my advice into consideration. (especially about covering them you wouldn't want to lose your banties)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom