treated for coccidiosis-eggs safe?

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Just finished treating my chickens for coccidiosis,chicks are about 20 weeks old, hope to be getting my first eggs soon. How soon will they be safe to eat. Also plan on eating a rooster , how soon will he be safe? Not sure why they got cocci so late.

Not sure as its not common practice to treat birds that old for coccidia. They should have natual immunity to it at 20 weeks for sure and at about 12 weeks they begin becomeing immune to it. Were they sick or somthing having runny and bloody poo? If so chances r u didnt treat the real issue. Just curious why u treated them for that at such an old age.

Depends what you treated them with, too. From your other posts, their problems may go back to your problems with keeping feed fresh and dry.

my rooster was acting strange,staying by himself and looked sick. When he pooped it was liquid with blood in. From my research, sounded like it was cocci. It says they can get it at any age if they get a lot of the parasites pecking . I was feeding them over ripe corn in their pen , it would get really covered in dirt. Thought that might be why. We seem to be over what ever it was after treating for 10 days with APROMED. I am giving them electrolyte water now and will start using ACV.

Still learning. I was also trying to use the deep litter method and maybe that is why they got sick. Don't rEally know?

Do you think it might have been something else?

BOy am I still learning. I keep their feed in the inside pen now and only water outside. But I was feeding over ripe corn in the outside pen dirt and thought maybe they ingested too much poopy dirt with the corn Like being a new parent Or I was using using the deep litter method and and that is why they got sick. I am not doing that any more, Poop gets cleaned up daily inside and new litter added.
Good thing my chicks still love me.. they follow me every where when I let them out and come when called.

Back
Top Bottom