Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction

Pics
I am likely showing my ignorance, again, but it is my understanding that the dosage required for toxicity with Moxi is still fairly generous? Granted, the math changes significantly whether using Moxidectin or Ivermectin, but the dosage needed to induce toxicity is still relatively high, no? The physiology of the individual overdosing on it matters as well, at least according to my paleolithic understanding...

Ah, clearance rate. I might have finally twigged the significance for Moxi and chickens. However, I remain convinced that with just a little care all the anthelmintic meds we are discussing are very safe to use, even considering more lengthy clearance/egg withdrawal times. I think we agree that the worm is still far more deleterious to the birds health and very survival than any of the meds under discussion here.

Also, herding breed dogs, and some others, are very sensitive to Ivermectin as used in paste wormers, and will die or get very (expensively!) ill if they get a small amount of the stuff. And they will happily eat it!
Fish and reptiles and amphibians are also easily poisoned, so be careful with it.
Chickens handle it fine, although it's on the 'verboten' list here in the USA, because small amounts will be in the egg yolks for a long time. That's a choice you make when using it.
I have also used it in the past, easy to dose and effective.
Mary

Ah, clearance rate. I might have finally twigged the significance for Moxi and chickens. However, I remain convinced that with just a little care all the anthelmintic meds we are discussing are very safe to use, even considering more lengthy clearance/egg withdrawal times. I think we agree that the worm is still far more deleterious to the birds health and very survival than any of the meds under discussion here.
I agree!

I am likely showing my ignorance, again, but it is my understanding that the dosage required for toxicity with Moxi is still fairly generous? Granted, the math changes significantly whether using Moxidectin or Ivermectin, but the dosage needed to induce toxicity is still relatively high, no? The physiology of the individual overdosing on it matters as well, at least according to my paleolithic understanding...
Actually, I have no idea. My paranoia about moxidectin stems from years when people were reporting deaths in horses treated with it. Because of that, I never used it.

@Folly's place, have you used moxidectin with your horses?

Yes, I tried Quest when it first came out, with no bad side effects. I only used it once, because my horses, who loved the taste of Ivermectin, hated the Quest!
Dogs and cats, and horses, have been my tapeworm infested critters here, very occasionally. So far, not the chickens.
Mary

I had a choice between a fenbendazole horse paste, a Prazi/Moxi blend paste and the Eqvalan Gold I ultimately purchased, and that was it for selection! Everything else would have to be ordered in by a vet which would have pushed the cost into low earth orbit. The most chicken experienced vet herself actually mentioned the Prazi/Ivermectin compound by name too which made bit a bit easier, and she even drew me a picture in crayon that I could read. I like reading pictures.

As we do not sell any of the little gifts the hens leave us every day we are fine with any trace residue that might be present—after discarding them for 5 days, which feels like a fowl crime. After that time the vet said any amounts remaining would be fantastically small, but definitely not if they are being sold. That's a whole 'nother can o worms we gratefully do not have to treat.

And Folly's, I can tell you with some authority the Eqvalan paste we bought tastes worse than a mixture of cat pee and varnish. With a low sulphur diesel chaser. My guess is it would make a terrible desert topping.

edit: I forgot this: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_dg_ivermectin_toxicity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom