treats & grit for 1 1/2 wk old chicks ?

giasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Woodville, Al
If I want to give my chicks an egg yolk for a treat, do they need to have grit with it? Or will the grit in their starter feed be enough for them to process the yolk treat? This will be their first treat, sorry but I just can't resist, they are so cute and all.

There is no grit in most starter feeds. They don't need grit for starter feed, or for soft foods like egg and yogurt. They need grit to grind up grains that are not pre-ground, as in starter feed, and to grind up grass, weeds, bugs, etc..

we've been feeding our chicks worms for treats as well as the strawberries and they go crazy over them worms. lol but will the worms hurt them??

Quote:
Okay I was under the impression that the starter feed I purchase has grit in it. It is from a local milling company,and when I bought it this is what I was told. Hum, maybe I should check my labels.

Quote:
Blueberries, grapes, blackberries, and raspberries are huge hits, also.
smile.png

Ours also like things like cantaloupe rinds (they eat all of the cantaloupe remnants off of them), bread, sweet cereals that are able to be crumbled into smallish pieces (for some reason, if the pieces are too big, they want no part of them), cookies, crackers, etc. They also like regular goldfish crackers, but aren't sure about the colored ones. They can be the same size and shape and flavor and everything, but if they're an unusual color, the chickens don't want them. They're so funny.
big_smile.png

Honestly, the bread and fruit seem to be their favorite things. They seem to like white bread the best but I try to sneak in some whole wheat just 'cause it seems like it should be healthier for them.
tongue.png

babies_bread1.jpg

Out of the current batch of babies, there are already a few who'll run up and grab the bread out of my fingers. SO cute. I'll hate to see them go!

Back
Top Bottom