Trembling rooster with poor breathing

Dellwood Farm

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 28, 2013
I have a 1 1/2yr old rooster that started to have issues two weeks ago. Found him walking strange, like he had two wooden peg legs. Also had drooped tail feathers, wasn't interested in eating and was trembling. Thinking he was cold, I took him inside to warm up. He warmed up but was still not able to walk and I noticed he had trouble breathing. He was still able to eat and drink but didn't seem to consume his normal amount. I massaged him trying to dislodge or find anything wrong. The next day I took him to the vet. They checked his poo for worms and said it was all clear. They proposed that it was bacterial arthritis and sent me with Doxycycline.
I've been doing the antiboitics for 10 days and there has been no change. His breathing seems to be better, but he still trembles when he stands and does not walk much. He still crows and flaps his wings but doesn't seem to make his normal grumbling rooster noises. I tried yogurt & cat food mixed with olive oil to help anything stuck in his throat. Put a q-tip in his throat to check for gap worm.
Today I was checking him out and noticed that some of his feathers on his chest are missing and his skin looks irritated with a bit of skin scaling. He still trembles when standing, still crows, still has weird breathing (like a slurping sound).
I'm at a loss to know what is going on with him and really need some help. Thank you for your help.

Brian

Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your rooster. Does he have swelling in his leg joints? Since he has breathing issues as well as leg issues, I would be concerned that he might have mycoplasma synoviae. Doeshe have any blisters on his chest? I would keep him warm because birds with respiratory diseases do get chilled. I think I would check again with your vet, and see about getting him tested. This can be done through the state vet or local NPIP tester. Here is some info from Univ. of Florida:
Mycoplasma synoviae

Synonyms: MS, infectious synovitis, synovitis, silent air sac
Species affected: chickens and turkeys.
Clinical signs: Birds infected with the synovitis form show lameness, followed by lethargy, reluctance to move, swollen joints, stilted gait, loss of weight, and formation of breast blisters. Birds infected with the respiratory form exhibit respiratory distress. Greenish diarrhea is common in dying birds (see Table 1). Clinically, the disease in indistinguishable from MG.
Transmission: MS is transmitted from infected breeder to progeny via the egg. Within a flock, MS is spread by direct contact with infected birds as well as through airborne particles over short distances.
Treatment: Recovery is slow for both respiratory and synovitis forms. Several antibiotics are variably effective. The most effective are tylosin, erthromycin, spectinomycin, lincomycin, and chlorotectracycline. These antibiotics can be given by injection while some can be administered in the feed or drinking water. These treatments are most effective when the antibiotics are injected.
Prevention: Eradication is the best and only sure control. Do not use breeder replacements from flocks that have had MS. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors for MS.

Thank you very much for your quick and informative reply! I really appreciate your help. I've been going nutz trying to DIY diagnose him and I think you hit the nail on the head. All of those symptoms are lining up with his symptoms, minus swollen joints (which he may have but I haven't realized). I'm going to get him back to the vet tomorrow and get him tested so I can start treatment for him. He's my pet, my boy and my buddy. Thank you for helping me and looking out for him. I will post again tomorrow after the vet.
Brian

Just got back from the Vets. The Dr. doesn't believe it is Mycoplasma synoviae (joints aren't swollen). Which is a relief! I was given a new antibiotic, Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethopriom. And was also given a pain medication, Meloxicam. The Dr. said that my roo should be feeling better in 3-4 days. Which would be great!
Eggcessive, I once again appreciate help! I will try and keep this thread updated for anyone else that runs into this same issue.

Back
Top Bottom