TROUBLE My Buff Polishs' Beak looks really, really bad !!

KIMEng

Chirping
Jul 4, 2019
Orlando, Fl
My Buff Polish spent 4 hours today in the hen house, which is very unusual for her-mostly she is a very feisty active girl. She seemed to be hiding out I think, she is not typically a broody girl either, but she was sitting on the eggs.. I actually encouraged her to get out of the house...and she did a bit reluctantly, fussing at me. This afternoon, once again she was in the hen house, My husband picked her up and got her out she was reluctant to go out with her flock........then I noticed the proximal end of her beak does not look right I took some pics to see if anyone has seen this type of issue before. I'm thinking it some kind of bacteria on her beak...she constantly has it in the dirt. She is 12 months old as of May, does have to defend her self periodically from our Red Sex link, but mostly this is occasional "hen pecking" (pecking at her feathers). Please Help:(

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 14
I’m sorry no one answered yet. poor Chick!
Hereby you get a bump to the top. I hope other people who know about this stuff see you soon
THANK YOU !!! I did feel a bit overlooked, but maybe no one has every seen this before.

I TOOK HER TO THE VET and boy that was a nice bill, but she is a sweet chicken and deserves at least a good shot at getting well. He took x-rays and blood work. Her White Blood Cell count was HIGH, her x-ray showed something funky going on in her egg laying organs, and she was very dehydrated. She as a symmetrical rash around her beak, the vet had never seen this before and went as far as to consult a few other vets. He gave her subcutaneous fluid bolus and sent me home with a sulfa antibiotic and anti-inflammatory med to be given over the next 2-3 weeks.

She is doing much better I do have her quarantined from the 6 other girls, which are doing fine, just because I was wanted to make sure she is eating and drinking good and give her at least a good week of antibiotics before sending her back. She is not laying now and as sick as she was I did not expect her too-In fact the Vet said she may never lay again-don't really care she's a good fun chicken.

She is eating good. Other than the layer feed, I supplement once a day with egg yolk, canned organic mackerel and lettuce, you may say why the lettuce because it has no nutritional value but it is 100% water and she is just not drinking. I do not see her drinking and this concerns me.

So my next question is WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU CHICKEN IS NOT TAKING IN FLUIDS?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again, for the "bump" and I hope everything is going well with you in the Netherlands!

THANK YOU !!! I did feel a bit overlooked, but maybe no one has every seen this before.

I TOOK HER TO THE VET and boy that was a nice bill, but she is a sweet chicken and deserves at least a good shot at getting well. He took x-rays and blood work. Her White Blood Cell count was HIGH, her x-ray showed something funky going on in her egg laying organs, and she was very dehydrated. She as a symmetrical rash around her beak, the vet had never seen this before and went as far as to consult a few other vets. He gave her subcutaneous fluid bolus and sent me home with a sulfa antibiotic and anti-inflammatory med to be given over the next 2-3 weeks.

She is doing much better I do have her quarantined from the 6 other girls, which are doing fine, just because I was wanted to make sure she is eating and drinking good and give her at least a good week of antibiotics before sending her back. She is not laying now and as sick as she was I did not expect her too-In fact the Vet said she may never lay again-don't really care she's a good fun chicken.

She is eating good. Other than the layer feed, I supplement once a day with egg yolk, canned organic mackerel and lettuce, you may say why the lettuce because it has no nutritional value but it is 100% water and she is just not drinking. I do not see her drinking and this concerns me.

So my next question is WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU CHICKEN IS NOT TAKING IN FLUIDS?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again, for the "bump" and I hope everything is going well with you in the Netherlands!
I know that some people have to dropper feed them if they will not drink. Literally drip one drop into their mouth,let them swallow it, and repeat. Otherwise I have no expertise with sick birds, so I hope someone will come along who does!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-would-cause-a-chicken-to-stop-drinking.874581/

I’m doing fine thanks! Today is a very windy day but temperatures are good.
above link may help you. They drop water into the beak with a medicine dropper or mix the layer pellets with water... some go even as far as tubefeeding

how are you in Florida? The news overhere says things are pretty crazy where you are right now
I have a syringe so i have given her some water that way, just don't know why she won't drink its crazy hot and humid here in Fl. Thanks for the link!

I live in Orlando Florida we are in our hot and humid season 90 degrees and 100% humidity, whew its uncomfortable to be outside my poor girls-I give them ice cube treats. The coop has plenty of shade and ventilation so they do well. Our girls actually lay better in the "cooler" months for us-which means we are in the 60s then Ha!

As far as COVID, ugh our positive COVID cases are through the roof, everyone is suppose to be physical distancing and masking when going out in public-you can imagine how popular that idea is with 90 degree weather and 100% humidity. Physical distancing and masking are the guidelines, now, some places mandated-hopefully folks will comply and we get this under control!! I'm a nurse so I'm very accustomed to masking, so I don't have any issues with it :) Being the "Vacation" state everyone wants to come to the beach,or Disney The beaches had been closed down but are now open and people flock to them. Restaurants and such are opening back up but have to make sure people are not to close to one another when eating The kitchen and waiter staff must wear masks. There are stringent cleaning protocols everywhere. Praying for a vaccine for this horrible virus!!

I know that some people have to dropper feed them if they will not drink. Literally drip one drop into their mouth,let them swallow it, and repeat. Otherwise I have no expertise with sick birds, so I hope someone will come along who does!
Thank you,I have a small syringe so i can do this!

Be careful though when forcing water on her. Chickens share their airway with the tube to their stomachs. If you don't make sure she is actually swallowing the water, she could very well choke or drown. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom