Trying to figure out what is wrong with these ducklings!

The TSC brooder debacle was really a shame, if they had all understood how to adjust and use them properly, they really are better for the chicks. A lot of people that DO understand stacked brooders got an excellent deal on them though, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

I’ve heard that if you put complaints on Twitter it gets to the top of the chain. I’m not real sure though as I’m not a Twitter user. Have just heard things go around quick there. Any update? That’s so sad places like this shouldn’t be allowed to sell poultry. Happens way too often at places like this.

I’m definitely no expert but my first guess is parasites like a skin or feather mite or lice. I would recommend isolating them from any other birds you might have until you can have them checked by. Vet should you choose to get them. They definitely look like they need help.

I will try to do that and see what happens! I was really upset over this situation because this isn’t fair to them! We actually just called them and the manager took it as a joke! She said that it’s normal for them to look like that and laughed when we said something. They said they are growing their pin or pen feathers in (I couldn’t understand what she was saying) and that they just got a bath and when we told her that, that wasn’t true because we actually touched one she got all mad because that’s against their policy. She told us to just look it up and even when we told them that the brooder is still overcrowded she said that she’ll let them know and laughed.
If you have a local animal advocacy that you can contact then I would definitely get them behind you and print out everything we have said here and let them know everyone here are the "online experts" when it comes to any kind of fowl and show them what everyone has advised and definitely hit ALL your social media outlets,..you never know who could see it and ask that they forward it to everyone they know. Since they don't care and no one is watching,.. I would "Rescue the worst looking ones",...they should not profit and be allowed to treat little ducklings like that!!!

Hi! I’m new here and I’ve been looking at a bunch of posts trying to figure out if my question could be answered! My fiancé and I have a bunch of chickens and ducks. We went to our local rural king to pick up a birthday gift for my father in law and decided to just take a look at what they had in their poultry section. We were looking and at the very end they had these ducklings that just didn’t seem okay to me. I called my fiancé over and I asked him what he thought and he said they could’ve just gave them a bath! I didn’t think that’s what it was so I stuck my hand in and touched one and they were completely dry! They could not stop pecking themselves and our ducklings looked nothing like this when we got them! I wanna try my best and figure out what’s wrong with them and see if they’re okay to get because I’d like to rescue them and treat them for whatever it is they may have!
I'd say they are definitely overcrowded (I counted 30!) and judging from the size of them, they look like they've been in there a while. Ducks are pretty tough and I imagine that if they were put in a proper pen, they would recover. But for safety's sake I'd put them in a separate pen in case they have a disease. IMHO they probably don't, they've just been crowded and not kept clean, but I wouldn't take the risk. I hope someone who can accommodate them will take them. I'd definitely not buy birds from there either! Not only is it not a good selling point, but it's also abuse.

Back
Top Bottom