TSC chicks... 2 dead in 3 days

HomeGardenGirl

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Hagerstown MD 21742
We bought 8 leghorn chicks from TSC on Tuesday evening, all appeared healthy and normal. Yesterday afternoon I found 1 dead in the broader and a 2nd one this afternoon. What the heck! 1st time ever buying TSC chicks and I am not impressed. We've raised our own hatched chicks for 2 years so I dont think it's anything we're doing wrong. Thought it'd be a good way of adding some layers & new blood into our flock. Now at this rate I'm going to have to see if I can get my money back😭

I bought a total of 30 chicks from TSC this time around. At different intervals, because Im a chick addict. The last batch I bought six "golden comet pullets" (which is for another thread because that is not what I got). But of this batch, three died. One a day for three days. Ive had chicks for 12 years. Nothing was done different with this last batch. These chicks appeared healthy, no pasty butt, eating/drinking etc.
Anyhow, dont blame yourself.

How old were they when you got them (had they just arrived)? Can you post pics of your brooder setup? Where is it located?

How old were they when you got them (had they just arrived)? Can you post pics of your brooder setup? Where is it located?
Here's a picture of set up.

Attachments

• 20200321_161010.jpg
    20200321_161010.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 10
We bought 8 leghorn chicks from TSC on Tuesday evening, all appeared healthy and normal. Yesterday afternoon I found 1 dead in the broader and a 2nd one this afternoon. What the heck! 1st time ever buying TSC chicks and I am not impressed. We've raised our own hatched chicks for 2 years so I dont think it's anything we're doing wrong. Thought it'd be a good way of adding some layers & new blood into our flock. Now at this rate I'm going to have to see if I can get my money back😭
😢😢. I’m sorry. We purchased 12 of our 16 at TSC and they have been doing great! Maybe they had been there a few days before you brought them home. I know our TSC gets their chicks on Thurs and Fri.

I don't see anything alarming in your brooder set up. In fact it looks quite good. What is the temp at?

I think what is more likely is that they had just got them delivered and you unfortunately got some that didn't do well in the mail from the hatchery!

Back
Top Bottom