tsc had de with calcium

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i went shopping for diatomacious earth (food grade) because i thought i might have a mite (
big_smile.png
) problem. at tractor supply i asked for de. she referred me to a bag that had calcium in it as well. i know very little in the chicken world, but i think calcium is a no-no for chicks. just a heads up.

But good for layers, right? Thanks for the advice though. I wouldn't have given it enough thought at the store!

It calcium in the DE at TSC is calcium bentonite which has the properties of adsorbing moisture and as a clumping agent. It seems unlikely that there is any biologically available calcium (calcium carbonate, for example) in this mixture. Most likely, it would be more akin to a laxative as used in humans.

I use the DE from TSC with bentonite in it all the time.

Chris

It calcium in the DE at TSC is calcium bentonite which has the properties of adsorbing moisture and as a clumping agent. It seems unlikely that there is any biologically available calcium (calcium carbonate, for example) in this mixture. Most likely, it would be more akin to a laxative as used in humans.

I use the DE from TSC with bentonite in it all the time.

Chris

with chicks? i don't want to use a product that will hurt my chickies

Back
Top Bottom