Turkens...?

Chickens&Dogs_12

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
I went to my local feed store and they had Turkens I got one and she is so cute. But I don't really know anything about them...

I love my turkens, here are a few of them. Excellent layers, super sweet, & unique!
DSCF5574.JPG

I prefer "yard buzzards"
Now I'm definitely needing a NN.

Researching says they are a dual purpose breed (meat and eggs) that are lightly feathered. Means they should do good in high heat summers compared to the tight feathered Orpingtons.

My interest is meat production. I have leghorns for eggs. Although the other breeds have loads more personality. What is your interest?

Now I'm definitely needing a NN.

Researching says they are a dual purpose breed (meat and eggs) that are lightly feathered. Means they should do good in high heat summers compared to the tight feathered Orpingtons.

My interest is meat production. I have leghorns for eggs. Although the other breeds have loads more personality. What is your interest?

We have our turkens for eggs and meat. They are super sweet, my turkens are the only hens that don't peck me when I reach under them for eggs. Nice large brown eggs. Very calm birds, I just love them. They are a nice size to butcher as well.Not to mention a few less feathers to pick! And there is the attention factor...even if you only have one she will stand out in a crowd!
DSCF5472.JPG

Pretty bird! Forgive my ignorance, do the NN get injured more without the feathers and the social pecking? The leghorn girls are on top and peck a bit. No blood on the feathered necks, but they are pecked.

Where did you get your birds from? Ideal Hatchery is closest and does offer NN.

You really have to look into what you're wanting and what you're getting.
NN is just a gene and can be bred into any breed or mixed into any flock.
In other words if someone is just mixing and matching them with other breeds there's no way of knowing what you're gonna get except for a chicken with a naked neck.
As for hatcheries their NNs are like any other breeds they sell. They "resemble the breed represented" or how ever they put it.
Hatchery NNs are what I've mostly had and they've been great.
If you're looking at them with meat in mind I'd say go to a good APA show and look for a breeder. Those show NNs are huge compared to hatchery stock. For meat of dual purpose you won't be disappointed in putting out the effort to find some good stock.

Back
Top Bottom