Turkey fell off slaughter truck- Rescued but needs help!

Please post pictures of all wounds before you treat. Some may need special attention. Sounds like you have a good relationship with your vet, so ask them about how best to clean and treat the wounds.

Haha I do, she is actually one of my best friend's ex girlfriends (was a happy surprise that she was working at this particular vet's office when I walked in!). Luckily they are still on friendly terms, and she is happy to help me to the best of her ability! She did tell me up front though that she is not an expert in these sorts of animals, but there is nowhere really nearby that is (without spending a small fortune)

Haha I do, she is actually one of my best friend's ex girlfriends (was a happy surprise that she was working at this particular vet's office when I walked in!). Luckily they are still on friendly terms, and she is happy to help me to the best of her ability! She did tell me up front though that she is not an expert in these sorts of animals, but there is nowhere really nearby that is (without spending a small fortune)
Wound care will be the same, and many of the same pain meds are used, so I think she'll be able to help you with the basic stuff.

he looks very pale, and rather purple

just be prepared for a worst case scenario
(i am just trying to be real)

he was bred and raised for an early slaughter, his heart and kidneys are probably not well-off

IF you can keep him alive and able to lose some weight you might be able to keep him alive but he also need to be able to walk around. He needs exercise

if he cant stand make him a sling

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

7205_sebbi_woo.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4--broken-leg-crazy-bird.jpg

he needs to build up his leg strength

DO NOT OFFER FOOD FREE-CHOICE!!!
only feed 2x per day, and only about 1/2 cup per feeding
and when he is older and can walk feed once per day, at night, he needs to work for his food

Unfortunately he has been raised like this already and it may be too late to fix
but i commend your efforts

Good luck

This is great advice! I'd move him into a garage or a shed if you have one or even a basement and keep him under a heat lamp with temps at 75-85. I'd also keep him off of any hard surface as well and make him a sling Asap.
As for the diet Dwayne is spot on though get him off chicken feed and give him game bird chow or feed. I give my turkeys Purina Game Bird Chow which can be purchased at a near by tractor supply. Is he on any medications at all?

Yes, similar to Cornish crosses and such, I believe

I'm gonna tag a few other folks
@Auroradream26 @DwayneNLiz @oldhenlikesdogs @MillersFarm @Pyxis @Ravynscroft @casportpony
Tanks a bunch for tagging me. I'll try and be as helpful as possible ;)

Hi all, I'm following as well. It's great that you're trying to save this guy. He's likely 14 weeks old, and hasn't really walked much in the last few weeks. Once they get too heavy, they'll just sit and move their head between the food and water containers. The BBs are just like the CXs. I'm pretty sure all the other questions have been answered at least twice. Best of luck and hoping for the best:fl

Bless you for taking care of this turkey. While he is bred to be a table bird, and will have a host of genetic issues, you can give him/her lots of TLC. Some of these birds can live a few years while some may succumb to their genetics such as heart/bone/muscle problems in a fairly short amount of time. Nevertheless, you can give him a much improved quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom