Turkey Poults Sick (Update page 3)

That is too hot for week old poults. I start my poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. At a week old they are down to 85°F. As hot as yours are I recommend lowering that temperature to 90°F.

FYI, dead and drying tree leaves can contain toxic compounds. Cherry leaves in particular can be harmful.

Base on the bloody poop, I recommend that you immediately start treatment with Corid.
Yeah, they started panting so I immediately removed the heat lamp and just put them in a smaller container with the brooder plate again.

Good to know on the leaves. That might be the reason for one or two of them. The only thing is I didn't see anyone else actually ingest any- and now I've got two dead poults and 2 on their way.

I've got liquid corid in my cabinet. Do you know the numbers for it? I can start them ASAP. I don't want to give them the probiotics/electrolytes at the same time if I remember right, yeah?

Thanks for your help

I found the dosage for corid. 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days then 1/2 for 7.

On the drench emergency option, is it okay to give to them if they already drank vitamins/probiotics today? or do I need to wait? I also just gave them nutridrench. Do I have to wait on that?

No worries; I completely understand and didn't take any offense. :) I'm just sorry I couldn't be of more help!

ETA: I found this thread concerning coccidia and probiotics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...after-giving-them-corid-for-coccidia.1210176/

The second post states:

Granted, this is for chickens, but I'd imagine this would apply to a turkey's digestive system as well.
Thank you so much! The two sick ones that are left are sleeping semi-peacefully right now, one of them stands up a little sometimes but then settles back down. I think I might let them rest for a little bit before I try to give them anything so I don't stress them too much, unless they start declining more.

They both pooped and are walking around. I took videos.

1623367805578.png
1623367949697.png

Here's the poops- no blood in these. I haven't seen any other bloody stools in the brooder either since I moved them in.

This one shows the weird mouth thing they keep doing. They shift their beaks around back and forth. They adjust their crops sometimes as well.

This one, tentatively named Red, is acting like it lost it's depth perception. It can only keep it's head looking down. Can't look up. Wobbles/trembles a lot.

This shows the other one walking around. It's still lethargic and kind of unsteady, but it can hold it's head up and is walking around pretty determinedly.

I put them both back in the brooder with the others and they went for a drink. The light colored one is still trying to drink, and has only been successful a few times and otherwise pecks above the water. The other one drank a bit, walked around, and then just retreated under the heat plate. The other one finally did too. As I was writing this, one of the more active babies pecked the lighter one on accident and it caused the light baby to shoot forward out from under the plate and roll on its back like the others did earlier.

Try to get the poult drinking a lot of water, and you can dip it’s beak into it. Mix some feed with water as well. If it will peck at some small chips of coconut oil that has been refrigerated, that can help. Unfortunately when some get pasty butt, it can be hard to clear up if they are already acting weak. What is the temperature of the place where you are keeping them?
I just bought the coconut oil and put it in the freezer to cool. Are you sure it's okay to feed it? It just ate a bit this morning before it got too lethargic, I was afraid if I fed it more it might compact it more. I've been trying to make it drink, but when it drinks it acts almost like it's having a hard time swallowing and I'm a little afraid I'll drown it.

They have a rentacoop heat plate. I was always told with heat plates you didn't really need a thermometer, but I just went and grabbed one and stuck it under and it says about 83 degrees on the woodchip level underneath the plate. I've tried to set it to where it's tall enough that they can crawl under it, but still short enough to keep them warm. I have 2 more acting tired and crying occasionally with no pasty butt/nothing hard in their abdomens now and I'm worried. They won't stay under either heat plate I have (I put another in there at a higher level in case the other was too hot) and just stand to the side of the heat plates hunched up and yelling. They're still walking around though and eating and drinking, just look miserable. I used this heat plate for 2 years and it worked fine... I'm worried I've messed up now.

Last edited:
We brought in a heat lamp and set it up instead. Its measuring about 95 at ground level. 2 are still lethargic. I don't know what I should do- I don't want to watch another one or two die. They have food and water at easy access now.

The other one is still alive. But barely. I don't think it's going to live. I just want to know what I did wrong so I can save the others. But I don't even know if it was constipated. For all I know it could have been born with issues. I just don't know and it's killing me because I don't want them to die. These were the first poults I hatched on my own and they mean a lot to me.

This is how the sick babies are drinking. I moved all of them out of the big brooder and back to the plastic tub with the heat plate. I don't know whats going on. I don't want to watch anymore die.

Two of them just suddenly started walking drunk out of nowhere. They just started wobbling and losing their footing. I don't know what's going on. Please help me.

ETA: Re-read the post; didn't see the part about the pee pads.
What feed do they access to? Did they have access to anything when they were outside? Grass?

First thing I would do is fast them - they don't need any more feed in their systems, just water. They sound severely dehydrated. I know it's important not to stress them, but I would suggest (gently) giving them small amounts of water with a syringe.
They are on 30% gamebird starter crumbles. They ate grass and poked at dead leaves, Thats all.

2 that were drunk are now having what looks like seizures and flipping over. I found blood in someones poop. I am panicking. They were fine yesterday. They are drinking on their own rn. I dont want to aspirate them.

I switched to a deeper dish now. The others are all acting fine and normal. Running, jumping, peeping.

They had access to chick grit the whole time. I saw them eating it and made sure they ate it after they came in from outside. Is it the grit? Could the chick grit, even though it's tiny, still kill them?

The two rapidly declined. One is either dead or dying right now. It keeps kicking out and spitting things up. The only thing I can think of in common for these 2 is I let them eat the coconut oil and sugar water.

Edit; The other sick one is coming out and drinking still. It goes back and forth between drinking and the heat plate. I know it's only a matter of time before this happens to it too.

Back
Top Bottom