Turning her head

Fee4366

Hatching
Oct 29, 2019
I have a 9 month (appr) light Brahma hen who is turning her head to the right side these last few days and she is definitely not acting herself. Also I see this morning she ya scratching at her right side of head. What could be happening?

Chickens do feel pain and discomfort, and they actually do tell us what is hurting.

Your hen is signalling a possible ear infection at worst, or itching, dry ear at least. Get a bright flashlight and have a helper hold the hen while you pull back that right ear flap and look inside.

If it's dry ear, you won't see anything, but you can place a drop of mineral or coconut oil into her ear, and that should give her immediately relief. One of my hens many years ago was scratching constantly at her ear. I had been to a health fair and got some ear oil. I put the drops into her ear and she stopped scratching it on the spot.

If you see any swelling or crusty buildup, that indicates an infection. After a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide to soften the crust, you can clean it out of the outer ear with a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed. Then a couple drops of coconut oil may be enough to treat the infection. Or you can get this from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BOVDOF2/?tag=backy-20

If it persists, you may need to treat with an antibiotic.

Idk I was reading up on wry neck in chickens (??) and I thought it might be that so I just gave her vitamins in food that I got from tractor supply also here’s a picture of her just now
First one shows the head tilt and the second one shows her right eye weeping

Any other ideas anyone ?

Attachments

• 31A3D3AD-39FB-4B9F-B7AD-3843307ABBB9.jpeg
    31A3D3AD-39FB-4B9F-B7AD-3843307ABBB9.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 1
  • E8A5DEEB-786D-44A1-AE28-522166A53246.jpeg
    E8A5DEEB-786D-44A1-AE28-522166A53246.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom