Unacceptable Guest Dog

I don't even trust my own dog around my birds alone, let alone someone's dog who I don't know will behave around them. When I'm right there with her, then sure, she can visit them, but I can grab her if I think she is too close.

Though she did put up with a brood hen that went after her, so that was a plus to see.
My dog is amazing with my chickens. I’ve posted a video of her chewing on a bone, and chicks and pullets stealing bites. She doesn’t lay mouth to them unless I want her to. She’s my hunting bird dog.

That is incredibly ironic!
Have you tried talking to him instead of his wife?
They're both relatively stubborn but he is more reasonable. Both me and my fiancee have explained this to them that if they are going to bring their dog over it must be on a leash. Still nothing. Last time the brought it over my dog was in the fence and their dog came up to her viciously barking and growling. Before my dog attacked her through then fence my MIL quickly put her on a lease. She said "I dont know why they cant be friends" all disappointed. Heres why: your dog is untrained and is a butthead. Put it on a leash. Instead I said "thats why she needs to be leashed on our property"

i shouldn’t vent so hard. I see her once every couple years (looooong story). Gave it a whirl this time due to extenuating circumstances. My wife wishes to maintain a relationship between them, so I support her.

If it were just me.... there’s a saying about a cup of water and a drowning person.

They're both relatively stubborn but he is more reasonable. Both me and my fiancee have explained this to them that if they are going to bring their dog over it must be on a leash. Still nothing. Last time the brought it over my dog was in the fence and their dog came up to her viciously barking and growling. Before my dog attacked her through then fence my MIL quickly put her on a lease. She said "I dont know why they cant be friends" all disappointed. Heres why: your dog is untrained and is a butthead. Put it on a leash. Instead I said "thats why she needs to be leashed on our property"
I think you should keep your dog free while they visit and see " Why they can't be friends". Lol

I've trained my King Shepard for my chickens but, when the neighbors chickens jump the fence, it's "Game On!" And she's chasing them and they're flapping and flying back over the fence. I would imagine it would be "Game Over" if one slipped but, I can’t help that.
In fact, when any bird or squirrel are in my yard, it's "Game Over!".
Between my dog and the hawk, my squirrel quota has been depleted.
Thank Godness because I don't like fuzzy tail rats either.
The hawk stays in the front field and the dog stays in the back with the chickens.
If the chickens are out in the back field and their is even a Blue Heron Crane by the pond or white Ibis pecking in the yard, when I let my dog out, she Bolts through her chickens and goes after the birdies. ( As I say).
The chickens just watch that "crazy dog" chasing the birds away that aren't hurting anything. Lol
Even the mini horses aren't allowed by the chickens and they just come to the fence. She chases them off too! Lol

I think you should keep your dog free while they visit and see " Why they can't be friends". Lol
My dog is very well trained but I do not trust her to behave with another dog running free and barking and growling at her. My dog will defend herself in that instance. Shes much larger than their dog and could easily kill it. I try to stay on my MILs good side and if my dog killed their dog...well I dont think that would go over well especially since they are the type of dog owners who make excuses for their dogs poor behavior such as "oh shes just happy to see you" or "shes just playing" as shes jumping and biting at you

Back
Top Bottom