Unethical treatment!

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I have been wanting to start a poultry farm. My persistence paid off and my brother agreed. I am at our chicken shop now and the way they treat the birds is so unethical. They are taunting birds they are holding by wings and charging them while they are being held. The birds are terrified. If my brother wants to farm with me he can't be treating them that way. I want to have a image of being professional in and out of public. I just needed to vent about that...

I appreciate that you needed to vent, however, your statement is very confusing. What is a chicken shop? Who are "they" that are abusing the birds? Your brother? What is charging them? Shocking them? If your brother "got off" on this abuse you definitely do not want to go into business with him. Chickens are generally sweet gentle creatures that give us wonderful eggs. Abuse is not allowed. You may want to report "Them" to animal control, I would!

I appreciate that you needed to vent, however, your statement is very confusing. What is a chicken shop? Who are "they" that are abusing the birds? Your brother? What is charging them? Shocking them? If your brother "got off" on this abuse you definitely do not want to go into business with him. Chickens are generally sweet gentle creatures that give us wonderful eggs. Abuse is not allowed. You may want to report "Them" to animal control, I would!
slaughter house we sell chickens.... the whole staff is being weird to the chickens. Chickens are all sick and weak and they are holding them by wings and running towards them to see the chickens freak out, or they are banging on the cages and yelling to make the birds scream. It's a family owned shop. It was so sad to see those chickens that scared. They were all so sick and weak and it doesn't help if you're tormenting them before they are killed

slaughter house we sell chickens.... the whole staff is being weird to the chickens. Chickens are all sick and weak and they are holding them by wings and running towards them to see the chickens freak out, or they are banging on the cages and yelling to make the birds scream. It's a family owned shop. It was so sad to see those chickens that scared. They were all so sick and weak and it doesn't help if you're tormenting them before they are killed
Sounds like a very sick bunch of individuals dealing with birds that have not been fed and cared for in a humane way. Call animal control on yourself!

Sounds like a very sick bunch of individuals dealing with birds that have not been fed and cared for in a humane way. Call animal control on yourself!
There was a duck dying... And it was wiggling around and everyone started laughing saying "Adios ********" and swearing at it. It was traumatizing... But I don't even can I do that do my family? It's all a weird uncomfortable situation

I'm sorry you have to put up with that. All living things deserve to be treated with respect and compassion. I'm new to chicken-keeping and I know nothing about running a business, but from my time of being an employee, it seems like managers and supervisors can make a huge influence in workplace dynamics/atmosphere. Who is in charge? That person needs to step up and enforce rules/policies for the betterment of the business even if they don't care about the chickens. Unnecessary stress can lead to sick and/or injuried birds. Though I haven't tried to process my own chickens yet, let alone running a poultry farm, I can't imagine that stressed and/or sick, ill-treated chickens would be good for business. Are there inspections, licensing, or other regulations that have to be maintained in order to stay open? If you are unhappy with the enviornment there, can you buy out other family members someday, or go into business by yourself? It is certainly complicated by the fact that your business partners are family.

If this is your family business, and you don't believe your family/employees are treating the birds ethically, then bring up your concerns and change their behaviors.

When I was raising meat rabbits, I showed my young nephew what it means to take their life and butcher the animal. I don't know if there is a pretty way to kill an animal, but I told him that you want to do it fast and with the least amount of stress to the rabbit. To do otherwise is cruel to the animal, and to yourself.

There are a number of YouTube videos going behind the scenes at commercial chicken farms. It's a business and they don't treat their birds like pets. It's not pretty. But I don't understand why anyone would want to taunt the birds or deliberately terrify them. That's not the kind of people I would want working for me, or that I would want to spend any time with them. I hope you raise your concerns and things get better. Best wishes.

Id take video and show it to animal control as well as the local news. Thats just dispicable. Animals deserve better treatment than that. If I owned that place Id fire everyone of those cruel people.

Back
Top Bottom