Update, Necropsy Results

While feeding corn and other foods can cause fatty liver syndrome, it also can be caused by a hereditary tendency, and other things such as molds and toxins. So, since you are feeding a healthy diet and limit treats and scraps to 10% of diet, I wouldn’t worry about your others. It just happens sometimes.

While feeding corn and other foods can cause fatty liver syndrome, it also can be caused by a hereditary tendency, and other things such as molds and toxins. So, since you are feeding a healthy diet and limit treats and scraps to 10% of diet, I wouldn’t worry about your others. It just happens sometimes.

She came from Murray McMurry Hatchery and our polish is impotent and has wrey tail.

:goodpost:

My thoughts too - since OP has outlined what she feeds. I do feel that genetics, breed and activity level all play a part as well.

She may not have been quite as active as the others or she may have metabolized feed a little differently. I have not encountered liver disease, but the layers I have put down due to reproductive disorders, there was a marked difference in fat stores of each breed. For instance my very docile, calm and moderately active Buff Orpington had a bit more fat in the breast and abdomen than my bossy, active and stubborn Barred Rock. Both had the same diet all their lives but were very much different in their activity level (and personality).
Just my thoughts.

Hun, these guys/gals are our educators and very good at what they do. I just think out loud. LOL I would wonder about the food . Make sure it hasnt been wet or old or ???
I never used the fancy stuff but it looks fattening to me. Just as a precaution. I am sorry for your loss. And very thankful for our educators. Without them all my chickens would be dead . :hugs

I agree it could be genetic.

But wanna say you mention buying scratch because it's "cold". Total hog wash that corn keeps chickens warm. Like you already stated, most of the feed is already corn based. It's simply calories regardless of source that gives them the energy to maintain their own body temp. There are other sources of calories with higher nutrient content.

Processing more chickens than we care to and often different breeds... they definitely have fat stores at differing locations than each other. And my birds really don't get treats. And different amounts even among the same age and breed with the same feed and pasture access.

My issue with your results is why a second chicken dead so soon after? That wouldn't have been something contagious and is too suspect for me to accept fatty liver as an only cause. I noticed it said there were more result pending though.

Mind sharing how much it cost you for the necropsy?

So sorry for both of your losses. :(

Back
Top Bottom