UPDATE post 37 Not the kitty CATS you want to see in your yard GRAPHIC

Geez not likely any zoo would want them - they aren't rare or exotic. I applaud the op for doing what had to be done and having the wits to do so. I probably would have been shocked to a standstill and attacked by them because they felt cornered.

Oh, this makes me sad... I almost never advocate shooting anything, but I think you did the right thing, even though it was a tough decision. That is one very thin cub, and I'm certain they would have been continued threats to your animals for a long time. They may not have pulled through on their own anyway--they may have just starved to death as it was. Maybe something happened to mama?

Sorry you had to do this. I would have had a very hard time with it, too.
hugs.gif
Seeing as they're dead as it is, I agree that you ought to do something with the pelts, and maybe keep the skulls and claws as well or something.

You did what any MOTHER would to protect her children!!PERIOD!!! Weather a coyote, fox, raccoon or child molester we do what is necessary to protect our babies!! End of story. It may not feel right but it just is!! God Bless:hugs

I think you did the right thing as hard as it was. I have a feeling that momma is not around any more or she would have been right there with them. I would rather be shot then starve to death any day at least it was quick.

It was probably the most merciful ending they could have come to. Hate the thought of a hungry animal, especially a hungry baby animal. At least it was quick. Protecting your own has to come first.

Well, DH was convinced that there was another cat on the property. Our black Fila was “missing” for the first few minutes or so of the cat/dog fight – we speculated that he may have run the mom off. DH was correct – in the sage brush this morning we found the other cat – deceased.

After further informing myself - I do believe these kits were abandoned. All three were so very thin, yes starving. It still breaks my heart that they are “gone” but I am so glad they are no longer starving.

Our Fila and our Blind Blue Heeler
120608mc2.jpg

Cat closest to the camera, was the Fila's victim
31162_dsc_0592.jpg

31162_dsc_0593.jpg

DH with our Cane Corso and Border Collie
31162_dsc_0601.jpg

Wow, they would have inflicted a whole lot of damage if the outcome had been different. That's a lot of cat power! I'm glad for your quick wit and skill, or we might all be reading a much sadder story!
On another note, I don't know how you feel about hats down there in Nevada, but up here....well....fur usually doesn't go to waste.

Quote:
I raised cougars, those are beyond thin.... Most likely sick, orphaned or both. I hate to see one die, because I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them, but you did what you had to do. And probably saved them from a slow death.

2x

Back
Top Bottom