(UPDATE!!) Red not getting better * PSU Replied!

Well Red is doing ok this morning. She couldn't wait for me to bring her special breakfast of yogurt and mashed chicken feed. I gave her some de-wormer yesterday that was for roundworms. Today her comb looks like it might be getting a little more color to it
smile.png
. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. And if anyone has anymore please let me know. Thanks a million.
Oh and Red was trying to hobble around her sick pen this morning. She hadn't moved very much for about a week. I can still tell that her leg is hurting though. I dont have epsom salts right now but I do have some sea salt which I plan to put in some water to soak her legs in then i'll put some petrolium jelly on them. Has anyone ever put saran wrap around their chickens legs to keep them cleaner when they are treating them?

Any one have any other ideas? I'm thinking now that maybe she had worms.. She had most if not all of the signs. I know that does not explain the problems with her legs but it would for how thin she is and her energy level.

Well, keep feeding her good stuff to build up her immunity. You'll want to re-worm in 7-10 days. At that time most here would recommend a few drops of pour on ivermectin. There are threads here with dosages. I have larger size hens and I do 5-6 drops.

Anyway, back to the present. It might be a good time to do a little external parasite treatment. Gently and lightly apply a little seven starting from the top of the neck down. Lift feathers here and there and sprinkle a tiny bit in. Avoid vent and eyes. You also need to avoid breathing it yourself.

The ivermectin later on will take a big bite out of the external parasites.

Last edited:
I would do ivermectin for internal and external worms. You can use a pea sized amount of zimectrin or zimectrin plus (which will also get tapes). Maybe wait ten days, since you just worked her.
Diatomaceous earth in her bedding and dust bath can cut down on mites and other parasites. I use it for desert fire ants a lot.

Thanks for all of your input. I thought I would let you all know that Red seems to be doing a little better. She is at the least a little more active. I still have her confined and i still have electrolytes in her water. Will write more soon in-laws just came...

Ok now I can continue.. I was looking over Red this morning and I found white bugs under her feathers and crawling across her skin so now i'm going to have to torcher her with putting seven dust on her. I am a little worried about that because seven is not to be inhaled by humans so what makes it safe for the chickens. Any way I'm going to get some DE tomorrow (which I also have never used before on them) which sounds safer to use than the seven dust. I also plan to "dust" my entire flock tomorrow. I have to wait till tomorrow cause that is when the hubby gets paid (sucks that he got laid off and could only find a part time job, makes money so tight) Sorry i'm not trying to give a lifes story just venting a little from frustration. Red is getting around a little more but still has a bad limp and she looses her balance some and has to use her wing to catch herself. Wish I could do more for her but I'm no Vet. Thanks again for everyone checking on her.

Mollie

Sorry about your hubby, these are tough times, poor guy.

Dawg has some good advice about worming here. It sounds like Valbazen doesn't do an immediate die off so I'm wondering if it would be safe to just move ahead with that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=536547

I do like to keep the Ivermectin around because it kills internal and external parasites. Valbazen is real thorough for the internal parasites. It kills gapes and tapes which the Ivermectin won't do.

Adams Flea and Tick Plus Shampoo is nice to have for the hard cases. You could bathe Red with it and sevin the rest. If you soap up the legs I would think it would get the scaley leg too. I bet you'd see a happy girl then!

Back
Top Bottom