Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics

I attached some pics. If you look closely you can see the tiny shavings. Looks like a lot of blood, should I stop Corid and start probiotics?

How are they acting? Corid is not an antibiotic, it is a Thiamine blocker which the cocci need to thrive. If your chicks are acting normal, eating and drinking they should be fine. It won't hurt them to give them a suppliment of electrolytes/probiotics but it is not vitally essential.

Last edited:
How are they acting? Corid is not an antibiotic, it is a Thiamine blocker which the cocci need to thrive. If your chicks are acting normal, eating and drinking they should be fine. It won't hurt them to give them a suppliment of electrolytes/probiotics but it is not vitally essential.

Thanks for the response. Im really perplexed by all of this and really am thinking this is a case of the chicks having ingested the shavings and NOT coccidia.

Theyre all acting fine, except one that died yesterday was weak.

The rest (20 left) have normal poop, are eating, drinking, scratching, and pecking. There just seems to be one or two with the bloody poop with wood shavings in it.

My question is if this isn't coccidia and is being caused from ingesting the wood shavings then could the Corid hurt them by acting as a blood thinner or something? Or should I continue giving it just in case it is coccidia?

I'm worried the wood shavings are causing damage and I might lose more. However, all are eating and drinking well.

I always put shavings in my brooder and have never had chicks die from eating them. That is not to say your problem is definetly not that, I am not a vet. If they were mine I would stop the meds and observe for another day.

I would keep giving the Corid. Do you have powder or liquid?

-Kathy
It's powder. Should I add probiotics with it? I wish I could figure out which one it is. I've been sitting out here watching them off and on for hours but every poop looks picture perfect. Then as soon as I turn my back there's a weird runny one
1f612.png

I was gonna suggest that you give the one that's doing it an oral drench, which you do by mixing 1/2 teaspoon with 10 of water, stir well and give 0.07 ml per 100 grams orally.

-Kathy

I still can't figure out which one it is to give the oral drench, but I wanted to give an update. I haven't lost anymore. I opted to keep them on the Corid to err on the side of caution and today is the first day that it looks like I'm seeing improvement. Still looks and runny, but not watery. Not as bloody looking, either. Today is the first day in a while that I can see some white caps trying to form in it as well, so I'm cautiously encouraged. I'm thinking the shavings didn't cause the issues and that it was the cocci, and that the cocci just made it easier to see the passed shavings than the other chicks "normal" poop. Thank you for all of your help!

Last edited:
I still can't figure out which one it is to give the oral drench, but I wanted to give an update. I haven't lost anymore. I opted to keep them on the Corid to err on the side of caution and today is the first day that it looks like I'm seeing improvement. Still looks and runny, but not watery. Not as bloody looking, either. Today is the first day in a while that I can see some white caps trying to form in it as well, so I'm cautiously encouraged. I'm thinking the shavings didn't cause the issues and that it was the cocci, and that the cocci just made it easier to see the passed shavings than the other chicks "normal" poop. Thank you for all of your help!

I'm still seeing some slightly dark brown "muddy" looking stools after the initial 7 day treatment of Corid. Ive narrowed the likely suspects to my two EE pullets. I'm going to attempt the oral drench on them. They weigh approximately 150 grams. That would put me needing to give .105 ml of the drench (if my math is correct, which it very likely may not be). My question is what can I use to administer this? All my syringes are in 1 ml increments. How do I administer it?

You math is correct, so draw up about 1 ml of water in your syringe, count the number of drops to empty it, then do a little math.

-Kathy

My flock has evidently come down with Coccidiosis... I was seeing what I believe one pullet (20 weeks) with intestinal lining dropping, but I am not sure which one. My flock had already had a preventative of Corid when cocci was first discovered in a new member (sick chicken is still in isolation though has improved). When it was 107 degrees outside I watered down the run to cool them down and that's when this outbreak started. I started my flock (3 pullets- 20 weeks old, 3 pullets- 10 weeks old) on Corid powder 1.5 teaspoons per gallon this being the 7th day. Now at least one of the smaller pullets (10 weeks) has started showing intestinal lining droppings which I just noticed today.

Should I keep them all on 1.5 teaspoons (since the one is now showing symptoms) for another couple of days and then move them to the 1/3 teaspoon for 2 weeks???

Sulmet is not available in my area. The member who started it all was purchased from what I now know was a disgusting farm and I didn't take the necessary precautions to protect my flock. She had been in the coop/run with them for 3 days, exposing them to mites as well! The cocci she had must have been a bad case because I had to keep her on corid powder max dose for 10 days before seeing improvement. She is now still on the preventative dose and I have seen instructions that it can be done for 21 days.

I am planning to water down the run again to bring out any coccidiosis that are hiding so they can all build up their resistance instead of recurring outbreak. If only a few are affected will Corid prevent them from future outbreaks or is this going to be an ongoing thing until they have all been infected and built resistance?

Sorry if this is confusing!

Back
Top Bottom