Char93

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hi all,
Just got two new baby chicks to add to our flock they are in the brooder and only four days old. One is thriving but I am becoming concerned for the other she is constantly sleeping and today has started showing minimal to no interest in food. I have given her some electrolytes in hopes that she perks up. We have treated her for pasty but twice and she got a feather pulled by accident in the process on the first time. Their brooder has been pretty consistent in temperature except for the first night (light was too hot oops). Any other tips for how to help my baby chick thrive ? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 31
Any other tips for how to help my baby chick thrive ?
I was gonna say poultry nutridrench (a miracle product IF possible). A drip just below the nostrils on the beak will roll around into the mouth with assistance from the bend in my finger to help direct the beak. They will swallow on instinct when the drip enters the mouth.

The internal egg yolk from hatching is used up around 3 days.. If the chick hasn't figured out how to eat/drink yet, it will fail. Some may have internal problems we can't see preventing digestion or absorption of intake.

Pasty butt is NOT caused only by overheating. But it is prone to repeat, keep an eye on it.

Crushing the feed extra, running my fingers through it to.pinching it up and dropping it, while using a high pitched voice to say "look babe, look".. that's what my mama hens do called tidbit ting. These things have really helped my survival rate.

What is their feed?

Until I got the nutridrench on hand.. I MIGHT offer smashed boiled egg yolk, or in the event of emergency.. raw egg yolk for it's ease of digestion.

:fl

You could inspect her umbilical region. Is it perhaps reddish and swollen like s
I was gonna say poultry nutridrench (a miracle product IF possible). A drip just below the nostrils on the beak will roll around into the mouth with assistance from the bend in my finger to help direct the beak. They will swallow on instinct when the drip enters the mouth.

The internal egg yolk from hatching is used up around 3 days.. If the chick hasn't figured out how to eat/drink yet, it will fail. Some may have internal problems we can't see preventing digestion or absorption of intake.

Pasty butt is NOT caused only by overheating. But it is prone to repeat, keep an eye on it.

What is their feed?

hi just thought I would throw an update on this feed. I went out and bought some electrolytes yesterday and forced her to drink some but I am so glad to report she is finally drinking and eating along with her fellow chicks at some point yesterday after cleaning her up from pasty but again she had one big poop and went back to normal. She’s chirping and energetic and will now lay down when going to sleep. Been keeping up with the checks on her but I am glad to say she is catching up finally, although I question if she’s a bit stunted from her refusal to eat (she doesn’t have wing or tail feather coming in like her sibling) but we will love and care for her either way. She is most definitely stubborn lol.
Definitely want to thank everyone for all the tips. Egg yokes and forcing her to drink electrolytes definitely helped along with Stella the other chick teaching her how to eat.
If anyone has any name suggestions we have called her sibling Stella and her soon to be flock contains Goldie, Una, Lilly, and Dale. in the picture she is the one up front and she will grow up to look like Goldie (the full grown hen photo)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 19
(she doesn’t have wing or tail feather coming in like her sibling)
Feathering in at different rates can be normal, especially if they aren't the same breed. Some breeds are fast fathering and other are slow genetically speaking.

Size wise, it doesn't look stunted from what I can see. So glad she's up and around!

Goldie is a beauty! :love

Goldie is a beauty! :love
Thank you goldie is definitely one of the favourites in our flock, she’s learned the stairs to the back deck and absolutely loves humans which is awesome.
All three hens are caramel queens from true North hatchery. I think the little one is just feathering at a different rate.

Back
Top Bottom