Urgent help eggs in incubator

Dolittle

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Southern Highlands, NSW Australia
Hi

This is my first time with eggs in an incubator.. Long story but I have had an 18 hour power cut, generator broke down, couldn't get out due to flooded driveway etc.. The incubator with 23 eggs in it got down to 22 degrees C before power was restored.

I am wondering if it is still viable for any chicks to hatch or whether I should just abandon eggs and avoid heartbreak ? ! We are at around day 9 of incubating.

Thanks
Jen

You might still get some to hatch. Eggs can take a bit of cooling because the mother has to get off the nest to feed herself. If they do hatch, they will probably be a little late. I'd say give them a candle tomorrow. By that point it will be apparent if any died.

When they die, all the veins disintegrate and oftentimes form a blood ring. This is a duck egg, but it looks the same inside. You can see all the veining that means the embryo is alive and healthy:

A dead egg will not have all this nice veining, and will probably have a ring of blood around it.

Belatedly replying - I did candle and thought I had a few viable - though didn't take any pics..

Then 10 days or so later i got my first chick !! I was so excited when I saw it pip I was up all night watching it! I then got 6 more which was fantastic (apart from the sleepless nights watching them too !!) .. 5 light Sussex and 2 Araucana - the Araucana are particularly photogenic : )

here are some of my babies - though not babies anymore they have already been moved to the outside 'nursery' and are thriving - crossed fingers they are all hens!.

e9RlRLrq7bJSJPbS_Jy61f8IV3kEN0rAgiyiAP9qL4c=s197-p-no
6fvUQ7ZlfJZgYXD0jt9SUzzg2_ioFzvzCoGhNtPddiQ=s197-p-no
t6YWexVArT_rmMxPGA5LDwNMR4X1dzsvr7H6GCSuybQ=s197-p-no

Belatedly replying - I did candle and thought I had a few viable - though didn't take any pics..  

Then 10 days or so later i got my first chick !!  I was so excited when I saw it pip I was up all night watching it!   I then got 6 more which was fantastic (apart from the sleepless nights watching them too !!) .. 5 light Sussex and 2 Araucana - the Araucana are particularly photogenic : )

here are some of my babies - though not babies anymore they have already been moved to the outside 'nursery' and are thriving - crossed fingers they are all hens!.

e9RlRLrq7bJSJPbS_Jy61f8IV3kEN0rAgiyiAP9qL4c=s197-p-no
6fvUQ7ZlfJZgYXD0jt9SUzzg2_ioFzvzCoGhNtPddiQ=s197-p-no
t6YWexVArT_rmMxPGA5LDwNMR4X1dzsvr7H6GCSuybQ=s197-p-no
Great looking chicks, congratulations and the best of luck with them being hens :)

Back
Top Bottom