urgent help needed please -pic added

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have a turken hen, year old. She looked a little droopy yesterday but 4 of my kids were sick, gastrointestinal, and since they are young they needed my help. I saw her today when I let them out but today another kid was sick so I had to wait for dh to get home from work tonight. I picked this poor girl up and she feels like she is going to explode. Is there any hope or should dh just cull her. I feel horrible and don't want her to split open. We have a needle but am not sure if anything would even help at this point. Would the most humane thing be to cull? please advise asap as we are still dealing with the sick kids so we don't have much time right now...thanks in advance

11313_imag0130.jpg

Last edited:
not sure if she is eggbound, her whole lower half is huge. I can't feel anything but her skin is sooo tight

That sounds scary. I'm not sure what is wrong. It might not hurt to treat her as if she were eggbound. Give her the warm bath etc. There are some good posts on here of how to do it. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. Internal laying? I'm sure someone else will jump on here as well to help.

she seems to be in a lot of pain, so if no one jumps in soon I am having dh cull...it is hot too....

tried warm soak and massage, can't feel anything. I think it just went too far, read you only have 48 ours for eggbound. I just feel horrible because she seems to be in distress. Dh went out to look for the raccoon ds and I saw when closing up the chickens earlier. I am going to have him cull when he gets back in. what I feel even worse for was if I had noticed sooner and was able to do something she may have been able to be saved...but kids come first.

Back
Top Bottom