Urgent, please help my hen!

I am very sorry for your loss. I know I would be heart broke..my chickens are like therapy to me.

Is worming a regular chicken thing to do?? I havent had my chickens long (although we had them all the time I grew up) but don`t recall worming them. I also worked at a veterinarian clinic some years ago but dont recall any chicken patients.

What and how often would a person worm their chickens??

I raised all my animals holistically and dont want to use poisons if I dont have to.

Again...so sorry for your loss.

my condolences
hugs.gif

Quote:
Four times a year...really? Does that seem excessive? I have heard twice but I don't know about four. Maybe dawg53 will chime in here...he seems to be the resident worm expert around here.
big_smile.png

More
hugs.gif
for you this evening. I would ask how your day was but I'm pretty sure I already know.
sad.png

Sorry to hear your loss

But I agree with SpeckledHills your bird was infected with a toxin coming off corn as I too had same situation and did a lot of researh. There is some bad stuff out there including new pathogens that perhaps is destroying our and animal and plant kingdom. Without going back to see what part of the country you are in, the corn fungus problem of the South has slowly migrated to the upper Midwest and also states like ND/SD. Toxins from corn are extremely deadly to waterfowl.

At the sametime the Roundup ready GMO types have pushed itself over the edge and since corn is in all feed types just about these days, there has been a lot of "unusual unexpected deaths of healthy" birds/fowl. There is a lot to Google out there if you have time too read. Unforntunaely there are not a whole lot of meds to use that are instant cures.

Like SpeckleHilles sates, keep the fluids by eyedropper going, get viamins/electrolytes (but watch the amount too because by hard knocks I "unwantedly" killed a favorite bird too by OD'g on Selinium)l When isolating the bird, I found putting a heat lamp over it about 18" but use a 40watt bulb (if it is super hot out then don't do but put a cold pop-bottle type with water in next to it - again if only super hot outside - like you do for rabbits). It may take days., so be patient. The bad part is we as humans have to go to sleep too and most times that is when bird will die because we sit there all night (have a buddy help).

You can read some material I referenced too on my postings under Diseases, etc. Like I said there is a whole new world going on right now and you just may have been "bit". Unfortunetaly a lot of us are going to feel the pain of loosing a favorite or two or a flock.

Best of Hope

Woody

Thank you woody but in my heart I really do feel like it is worms. Even if it isn't I am going to worm the whole flock. I feel like AGGIE didn't even stand a chance.

I bummed myself out really badly after work.
I went in the yard and counted my girls. I said "oh no! Someones missing!"

sad.png
totally frazzled today. I have spent my entire weekend moving, unpacking, cleaning, staining the new floors. Agnes's illness hit me hard. Had a migrain all morning, an then my car died. I thought I was going to fall apart at six thirty this morning at work.

Then a fellow byc member gave me some little baby chicks and it really seemed to lighten my mood. I think I'm going to make a painting of Agnes.

Quote:
Oh my gosh Aubrey! I'm so sad you had another loss in such a short time girl! If there is anything I can do please let me know and I'm there for you!!
th.gif

This sounds like it's time for us to get together soon and have some great coffee or tea?
hugs.gif

Hang in there!

Quote:
Oh my gosh Aubrey! I'm so sad you had another loss in such a short time girl! If there is anything I can do please let me know and I'm there for you!!
th.gif

This sounds like it's time for us to get together soon and have some great coffee or tea?
hugs.gif

Hang in there!

Thank you Sheryl, I would really love that
hugs.gif

Oh no, I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
I know you cared and this is such a sad time for you.
sad.png

The only thing you can do is learn from this--it would be a good tribute to your sweet Agnes.

I always pick up my hens every few days to see if they are still heavy. It would be good to do it at least once a week--and check for lice and mites too. It can be done after they are asleep at night if they don't cooperate (mine love to be picked up). I also get their droppings tested by mixing all of their fresh AM samples together--called a flock fecal-- and take it to the avian veterinarian to test for various worms and coccidia. She told me to do it twice a year--once in the spring and then in fall. If you see a problem you can always bring in another sample. I am fortunate though as we have 1 vet who only sees birds including chickens and 2 others who treat chickens as well as small animals.

Take care and don't beat yourself over it--it can ahppen to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom