URGENT: predator got in coop, killed 2 chickens and injured 2 others

I can't recall if you had access to vet/oral antibiotics. Since the wound is infected, antibiotics would be helpful, if that is an option.

Even if you are not in position to give her oral antibiotics, she still may be OK. My chicken who gotten bitten by the bobcat had puncture wounds, and she got some type of infection. Her wattles swelled up like grapes, poor thing. I did not have access to oral antibiotics, but she still recovered. I flushed the wounds as best as I could with saline solution and smeared on the neosporin.

I would have drained the wound as well, and then tried to wash it out as much as I could, and then put on the neosporin. I'm not familiar with the colloidal silver water, so I can't comment on that.

I hope she pulls through. :fl

I can't recall if you had access to vet/oral antibiotics. Since the wound is infected, antibiotics would be helpful, if that is an option.

Even if you are not in position to give her oral antibiotics, she still may be OK. My chicken who gotten bitten by the bobcat had puncture wounds, and she got some type of infection. Her wattles swelled up like grapes, poor thing. I did not have access to oral antibiotics, but she still recovered. I flushed the wounds as best as I could with saline solution and smeared on the neosporin.

I would have drained the wound as well, and then tried to wash it out as much as I could, and then put on the neosporin. I'm not familiar with the colloidal silver water, so I can't comment on that.

I hope she pulls through. :fl
I unfortunately don't have any oral antibiotics. I'm glad I drained the wound, then. I kinda figured that would be better than leaving the putrid liquid in her system. Thank you, I think she will get better as long as that infection doesn't make her sick.

Update: I guess this isn't much of an update but my chicken is still doing the same. Which, I guess isn't bad because at least she's not getting worse. She's still not eating on her own though and it's been a week since the attack. Behaviour-wise I'd say she's a bit lethargic (not moving around much) but she'll respond to stuff. Her injured eye appears to be intact but it doesn't look normal so maybe it's been damaged? Most of her wounds appear to be healing somewhat but like I said earlier, one of them is infected. I've had to drain it quite a few times. It appears to be a deep-ish wound that is filled with dark and bad smelling fluid (possibly old blood). It's above her left ear and I kinda have to press on her ear to drain it. I've cleaned it out with salt water (because you guys have suggested saline solution) and smeared neosporin on it. Is there anything else I should do and is it normal to have to drain infected injuries multiple times? Also, here are some pictures of her that I took today. Note that the weird, white-ish, shiny gel stuff is neosporin, not pus.

This is the top of her head:
IMG_20191106_125859.jpg

This is the bad side of her face with the injured eye and the infected wound, which I have circled:
IMG_20191106_125747.jpg
This is the good side of her face:
IMG_20191106_125450.jpg

Poor girl. I've never dealt with a wound that needed constant draining, so I don't know what to suggest other than keeping it clean and the neosporin. I wish I had some better or more detailed advice for you.

Are you still helping her eat? I would try to get things high in energy and nutrition into her like scrambled eggs.

I am so sorry this happened to you.It is so traumatic.My turkies were attacked last year and it was heartbreaking.The male wrapped the injured female in his wings all night.I think the above is all great advice but most of us know our animals.If she has a friend hen or rooster I would put him with her.This way the shock will lessen.

:hugsI think you are doing all you can for her. I would try to give her scrambled egg the same way you are giving her bread. Also some time with a buddy might perk her up. Just keep them separate until you know they will not fight. Maybe if she sees another hen eating?

Poor girl. I've never dealt with a wound that needed constant draining, so I don't know what to suggest other than keeping it clean and the neosporin. I wish I had some better or more detailed advice for you.

Are you still helping her eat? I would try to get things high in energy and nutrition into her like scrambled eggs.
Yeah, of course I'm still helping her eat. There's no way I'd let her starve to death. I've been giving her eggs and bread. I need to probably stop feeding her so much bread but it'a the only other thing besides eggs that I have that I can force feed her at the moment

I am so sorry this happened to you.It is so traumatic.My turkies were attacked last year and it was heartbreaking.The male wrapped the injured female in his wings all night.I think the above is all great advice but most of us know our animals.If she has a friend hen or rooster I would put him with her.This way the shock will lessen.
I'm so sorry about your turkies, that must have been awful. I unfortunately cannot place another chicken with her though as they're pretty much all mean to her as she has a low rank in the pecking order.

:hugsI think you are doing all you can for her. I would try to give her scrambled egg the same way you are giving her bread. Also some time with a buddy might perk her up. Just keep them separate until you know they will not fight. Maybe if she sees another hen eating?
I have been feeding her eggs as well. I unfortunately cannot put another chicken in with her because the others are mean to her. I once actually tried putting the other injured hen in with her because I thought the same thing but she just tried pecking her so I gave up

Back
Top Bottom