URGENT: predator got in coop, killed 2 chickens and injured 2 others

Pics

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
So today I went to go take care of my chickens only to find that two of them were brutally murdered and two of them sustained injuries to the head. I believe the predator was a raccoon. One of the injured birds I am not as concerned about and I think she'll be ok, but the other one looks pretty bad. What should I do?? I tried cleaning her up but it didn't work too well. I really don't wanna lose her.
This is the one I an less concerned about. It looks kinda bad but I think she's gonna be ok:

IMG_20191030_125111.jpg

IMG_20191030_125039.jpg

This is the one I'm worried about:
IMG_20191030_130442.jpg
IMG_20191030_130401.jpg
IMG_20191030_130334.jpg
IMG_20191030_130252.jpg

I'm really worried; what do I do???

First you should clean them up with some warm water and peroxide, and trim back any feathers in your way. You need to see how bad the wounds are, and disinfect them. If they’re not too bad, you can put neosporin (without pain relief) and bandages, but if they’re really bad I would post pictures again— BYC people often seem to have the right answers

First you should clean them up with some warm water and peroxide, and trim back any feathers in your way. You need to see how bad the wounds are, and disinfect them. If they’re not too bad, you can put neosporin (without pain relief) and bandages, but if they’re really bad I would post pictures again— BYC people often seem to have the right answers
I tried to clean up the blood with warm water with a cotton ball and I applied some colloidal silver which is supposed to be antibacterial but it's too matted and she kept struggling and don't wanna make anything bleed worse if it's already clotted.

I tried to clean up the blood with warm water with a cotton ball and I applied some colloidal silver which is supposed to be antibacterial but it's too matted and she kept struggling and don't wanna make anything bleed worse if it's already clotted.

Get a towel and swaddle her, and trim back some feathers. Is she still bleeding? It might help to have somebody help you with holding her.

You should take the bad one to a vet that sees chickens as soon as possible! Or even better an avian vet. If she is in a great deal of pain, you may dissolve 5 aspirin per gallon of water and let her drink that--it should reduce the pain. Make sure she is no longer bleeding since aspirin thins the blood and can increase bleeding.
Here are some links that will help.
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ens/how-to-treat-cuts-and-wounds-in-chickens/
https://pethelpful.com/farm-pets/How-To-Care-For-An-Injured-Chicken
Please keep me updated

rinse is warmed saline solution, and apply antibiotic cream like neosporin or triple antibiotic without pain relief, keep in isolation between 70-85 for temp, give her some nutri drench or save a chick and make sure she's drinking. you can try enticing to eat with a favorite treat, chopped boiled or scrambled egg, yogurt.

has bleeding stopped?

rinse is warmed saline solution, and apply antibiotic cream like neosporin or triple antibiotic without pain relief, keep in isolation between 70-85 for temp, give her some nutri drench or save a chick and make sure she's drinking. you can try enticing to eat with a favorite treat, chopped boiled or scrambled egg, yogurt.
No, I don't think the bleeding has stopped. I wanna bandage it but I don't think I can as it is on her head
has bleeding stopped?

Back
Top Bottom