URGENT!! STUCK CHICK!

BaldrickG

Hatching
Apr 19, 2020
Hi all.

I HAVE A CHICK TOTALLY TRAPPED IN DRIED MEMBRANE!

Egg pipped at midday on Saturday (uk time here). It quickly unzipped, but then seemed very stuck. I have read a lot about this sort of thing, and knew to just wait 24 hours. The next day, two further chicks had hatched, but not this one. We waited into the afternoon. we could see it was very stuck and pasted into its shell - having zipped almost all round we could see the membrane had separated from the shell entirely, in some parts maybe over 1/4 inch.

The chick was stuck, wrapped tight in the membrane, and worse, the membrane was clearly dry and yellowing. Through a small air hole in the incubator we used a long cotton bud to dampen the membrane, as we had read on a forum, VERY gently, and it just did not work. it would still wriggle and writhe a lot.

I know many people say never ever intervene, but some said if it gets near to 30hours and you are sure it needs help, you can cautiously try.

We lifted it out (humidity/temp didn’t drop) onto hot damp towel. It was very easy over the next 3 minutes to clear a lot of shell off, and we found the membrane was totally dry. It had FUSED to its ‘feathers’, and if I got a feather caught it would peep and cry and wriggle. But it was totally stuck. We put it back. Wait an hour. Pull it out, find the airsack ring is fused to it, and a whole new patch of fused feathers - it was like someone had covered it in glue. I went to pull the membrane back downwards, but found yellow goo - the YOLK? This was now over 30 hours from initial unzipping, and I didn’t disturb any more. I put it back. An hour later, its airsack shell came off, but now, nearly 36 hours later, it is still bundled up, stuck to the bottom of its egg, with its leg sticking out.

Is it doomed? should I take off all shell? Should I leave it to ‘absorb the yolk’ or did it hatch far too early without yolk energy then dry out? Attached are very bad photos through the incubator of it now, and it earlier when the membrane separated (always with its yellow chick friend). Humidity and temp seem to be good.... others hatched AFTER it, successfully.

Sorry for the essay - what do I do?! It still moves, moves its leg, peeps, breathes. I’ve seen its beak etc. It’s clacked its beak.

Attachments

• 4D662B3E-525C-4937-92A1-7815271FDAEB.jpeg
    4D662B3E-525C-4937-92A1-7815271FDAEB.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DC46E1F6-9209-4A66-A488-79EB3D20AA99.jpeg
    DC46E1F6-9209-4A66-A488-79EB3D20AA99.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 9646662F-9CA2-4632-8F1D-93EB58279843.jpeg
    9646662F-9CA2-4632-8F1D-93EB58279843.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I try to avoid assisting in hatches, but I've done so a couple of time in situations like yours, when a chick is stuck in "zip" for several hours and the membrane appears to be drying out. It's always a hard call to make and be forewarned the sometimes a hatch just wasn't meant to be, regardless of what you did, or did not, do.

I'm attaching an article from this site that I've found helpful in providing guidance. There is a section about half-way through the article called "What if she Doesn't Finish and Zip" that describes your circumstance and given detailed directions on what to do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

There is a lot to that article!

There is new advice about moistening the membrane with oil on a qtip. Don't use mineral oil.

Pay attention to the part about bleeding. You need to wait until the blood is down to avoid a hemorrhage.

Good luck!

Ok, we did get him out, and no bleeding whatsoever. A bit of yolk had dried hard around his foot, which was tricky. He can kick his legs and unfurled quite a bit in the incubator.... but over 12 hours now and he isn’t getting up or getting better. Maybe something was always wrong with it..?

UPDATE: He's been lying on his side, but kicking so well I picked him out and checked him. His left wing was stuck, so I freed it. Now he is hobbling about upright - which is a HUGE improvement... but there is still one problem; he's falling onto his head, straight forwards. Has he damaged his neck from being stuck? Is this a lost cause?

UPDATE: He's been lying on his side, but kicking so well I picked him out and checked him. His left wing was stuck, so I freed it. Now he is hobbling about upright - which is a HUGE improvement... but there is still one problem; he's falling onto his head, straight forwards. Has he damaged his neck from being stuck? Is this a lost cause?
Make sure the chick eats and drinks water.

Check for spraddle leg and make a splint if so. They will often act like this for a day after hatching since they worked very hard to get out.

Do you have some chicken vitamins or save a chick?

Make sure the chick eats and drinks water.

Check for spraddle leg and make a splint if so. They will often act like this for a day after hatching since they worked very hard to get out.

Do you have some chicken vitamins or save a chick?

Ok I will feed and water him - I am wary of putting him in the brooder with my four two-day-old chicks in case they pick on him.

I have no vitamins or save a chick; is there something I can mix up? I have loads of ingredients and human vitamins...

Ok I will feed and water him - I am wary of putting him in the brooder with my four two-day-old chicks in case they pick on him.

I have no vitamins or save a chick; is there something I can mix up? I have loads of ingredients and human vitamins...
Some sugar water with a bit of salt for dehydration. There are mix instructions online.

When you can, get some rooster booster and or save a chick. You can give rooster booster to the flock later too

Back
Top Bottom