URGENT!!! What are some characteristics that can differentiate a male and female White Chinese goose?

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
My White Chinese geese are 9 1/2 weeks old. I really hope at least one is female. I notice that one of them stands tall, has a higher pitched voice, has a smaller vent, tends to be noisy and has a larger developed knob (the one eating grass in the picture). While the other likes to stand more low to the ground, has a deeper voice, already seems to have developed a honk, not as noisy, larger vent and has a smaller, less developed knob (the one standing and has a yellow tuft of down on its head and neck in the picture). I’m not totally sure if these could help me now in determining if one is a male or female, but if it can then that would help! They obviously aren’t adults yet, but it would be nice to know if these are helpful in determining if one is a gander or goose. What genders do they sound or look like? When/what age should I be able to tell for sure their genders? What are a few characteristics of a male and female White Chinese goose? Also, if one is a female, when do they start laying? If they breed, how will I tell the difference between if I can eat the eggs or if there are goslings in them?

Lots of questions! A little overwhelming but a few concerns I have. I’m a beginner with geese so these are a few things I’d really appreciate help with. Even if you answer one question, it would really help me out! Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out.
F0597F7C-1F71-4DEB-9823-66287BF7E4FC.jpeg

Last edited:
My White Chinese geese are 9 1/2 weeks old. I really hope at least one is female. I notice that one of them stands tall, has a higher pitched voice, has a smaller vent, tends to be noisy and has a larger developed knob (the one eating grass in the picture). While the other likes to stand more low to the ground, has a deeper voice, already seems to have developed a honk, not as noisy, larger vent and has a smaller, less developed knob (the one standing and has a yellow tuft of down on its head and neck in the picture). I’m not totally sure if these could help me now in determining if one is a male or female, but if it can then that would help! They obviously aren’t adults yet, but it would be nice to know if these are helpful in determining if one is a gander or goose. What genders do they sound or look like? When/what age should I be able to tell for sure their genders? What are a few characteristics of a male and female White Chinese goose? Also, if one is a female, when do they start laying? If they breed, how will I tell the difference between if I can eat the eggs or if there are goslings in them?

Lots of questions! A little overwhelming but a few concerns I have. I’m a beginner with geese so these are a few things I’d really appreciate help with. Even if you answer one question, it would really help me out! Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out. View attachment 2284279
Hi!
I have Grady 15wks who is a white Chinese also. She's my only and first one. I was just able to get a good guess on here that she is indeed a female a week or to ago. I was told in about a month we would be able to tell for sure. I made a video and was able to upload it with vimeo on here easily. I made one of Grady walking and talking.
I hope this helps! I wish I could give you more info but I don't want to lead you down the wrong idea. I hope you find out soon! I know the suspense can kill you!

Hi!
I have Grady 15wks who is a white Chinese also. She's my only and first one. I was just able to get a good guess on here that she is indeed a female a week or to ago. I was told in about a month we would be able to tell for sure. I made a video and was able to upload it with vimeo on here easily. I made one of Grady walking and talking.
I hope this helps! I wish I could give you more info but I don't want to lead you down the wrong idea. I hope you find out soon! I know the suspense can kill you!
Thank you for the help!! Do you mind sending the video of Grady that you were talking about?

Omg I'm so sorry I've been so busy at work. I'm so sorry. I'll post a video Monday! I have of then.

Thank you!! One of our goslings has a noticeably deeper honk than the other. It’s of course still developing but we think one is a female and one is a male so this will help us when she develops more. The one we believe is a male also is about a pound or two heavier than the other gosling. He also has a more further developed knob and a higher pitched voice. We’re hoping that we have one female and one male, but we don’t want to get our hopes up either!

Thank you!

I figured out how to put it on YouTube. The other video maker made it switch from different times in clip so it didn't sound good or look clear.
Thank you!! One of our goslings has a noticeably deeper honk than the other. It’s of course still developing but we think one is a female and one is a male so this will help us when she develops more. The one we believe is a male also is about a pound or two heavier than the other gosling. He also has a more further developed knob and a higher pitched voice. We’re hoping that we have one female and one male, but we don’t want to get our hopes up either!

Thank you!
No problem! My sister swears Grady is a boy and I just don't know. I think you can get them tested some how but I'm not sure. She'll be 17 weeks on Tuesday if that also helps.

Back
Top Bottom