Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

Day 8 they all looked good. I've been worried about the pores since day 1,lol,so i'm not gonna candle. Lockdown is friday.i've been patient for 2 wks already,i can wait one more!!

Day 14, I think I have 2 more bad eggs, which will drop me down to only 8 in the incubator. One looks like it has a sideways blood ring and doesn't look like it developed past day 6 or so. The other... I don't know what's going on in there. It looks almost green when I candled it instead of the usual pinkish, orange or yellowish cast. It worries me, but going to leave it in until day 17 to see if it develops or not I guess?
The one chick is still developing very well and is very active! Only one out of all 8 that I'm 100% sure is alive. Really hope I get more than one chick out of this hatch...

Day 18 will be tomorrow for us. I just noticed yesterday my humidity was only at 25% since the beginning. I put a sponge in the incubator and now its at 45%. I hope that was not to low for all those days?

Day 18 will be tomorrow for us. I just noticed yesterday my humidity was only at 25% since the beginning. I put a sponge in the incubator and now its at 45%. I hope that was not to low for all those days?

fl.gif

I wish you all the luck, but that's very very low. Low humidity means high weight loss, and high weight loss results in overly stressed chicks. You need to try and get the humidity up to 65% or so in order to prevent the membranes from shrink wrapping them when they finally pip. They are likely to have huge air cells, which makes the worry about shrink wrapping even greater.

I would get some electrolyte water ready too, some form of "Stress Aid".

Last edited:
Take a look at your aircells. Are they bigger or smaller than the day 18 line on this pic:

If they are bigger, I'd go ahead and get your humidity up now to 65-75% to keep them from losing any more water.

So I have a 17 year old dog who is almost blind and deaf. She still loves to wander around, especially in the middle of the night. Last night, I'm making my way from bed to the powder room in the dark, and boom, she's there in my path and walks right into me. As I lunge forward to stop my fall, an obstacle goes in between my little toe and its mate...dang nearly rips the toe off...

old.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
rant.gif
hit.gif

...and why am I telling you this? Well, firstly, I need sympathy...it hurts!...but also tomorrow is Day 10 for me, and I was going to forego candling and instead get my maple trees tapped. As a result of an encounter of the ouch kind, I'll be candling not tapping...;-]

Also, I started collecting eggs for my next setting (Feb. 23) as I want to get more dark eggs into the setting. This hatch, 17% are dark, next hatch, I hope for 30%. The dark eggs will be up to 15 days old, whereas the balance will probably end up being all under 7 days old.

Good luck to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom