Ventilation question

azcook

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013

This is our coop so far we will add another layer of pallets for the height
Our plan is to close the gaps like this
and doing the top ventilation like posted probably only a foot of ventilation... Should I add windows? The chickens free range most of the time so I will be able to leave the top door open during the day... This is the plans for the door...
there will also be a small door going out into the run that will provide a little ventilation also.

I would put hardware cloth over that large top space in the second picture, for ventilation. Depends where you live, really.

Nice coop. I'm worried about my ventalation as well. How about rain is it ok if the rain gets inside ? I have a very small coop . Made out of pallets and mold crates all free stuff . And my vents are going to be threw the roof at an angle .Pictures coming soon .all 100% free hand . I'm new to the chicken world but I have to say I'm super excited .

Rain getting in is a concern but I don't plan on on extending the roof in the front to go over the run so it will just be able to come in on the sides so unless the wind is blowing like crazy I don't think it will be an issue.. If it is I guess I will have to biluild a flap to cover the sides?

Rain getting in is a concern but I don't plan on on extending the roof in the front to go over the run so it will just be able to come in on the sides so unless the wind is blowing like crazy I don't think it will be an issue.. If it is I guess I will have to biluild a flap to cover the sides?

I have an open-air coop, and any rain that does get in, is no big deal. I have hardwarecloth over all the window openings. That blocks most of the rain, the floor will get damp, but if you have a properly ventilated coop, it will dry out quickly. At least, that is what I have found with my coop.

Quote:
Agreed, and somewhat similar to my setup. My coop gets so much breeze that they use it for shade midday in the summer as it's cooler than outdoors under bushes. In this part of the country, we just don't get weather that is cold to a chicken. It's heat they don't tolerate well. They will need good strong breezes and shade in the summer, and even then you may find yourself running a fan or mister, or other measures to cool them. You can actually keep them in a 3 sided coop in the north; it's ideal down here. They only need a way to keep the feed dry. Here is a thread showing the kind of setup that works best in the south:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

Back
Top Bottom