Vermont

Photo Friday! This is where one of my orps has decided to go broody:

Some pictures I took of Chickpea while she was on my lap. For some reason, she is always photogenic.

A buff in the pool as it was filling. They're getting more trusting of me. I think the bread the other day helped.

Love the color of your duck, so beautiful.

Picture Tuesday!
wink.png
My new girls, 9 weeks old yesterday.

Zorra laid an egg on the 8th and her mothering shut off like a light switch. The girls are hanging with the Faverolles, Zorra happens by now and then. She is as likely to peck at them as protect them now.

Photo Friday!

Two of my cockerels announcing their presence to the world:

Brooder full of babies!

The only blue swedish duckling that I ordered that actually came blue. The rest were black:

PICTURE FRIDAY !!!

Hoop Coop going up and these are Momma Chickies real babies - who I gave to a neighbor a few years ago ....

This is what happens when you use your truck as a tool box while building the above Hoop Coop and happen to leave the door open:

How about something a little different? Here's my beardie modeling her witch's outfit:

And to keep the chicken theme, I'm feeling a little nostalgic today, so here's Honey, my first rooster. I miss him, he was a good boy. I'm so glad I have his son.

Oh, and cute little painting on slate a coworker gave me for my desk:

Ducklings are pretty resilient, so I think I'm gonna go with that. Geese are pretty darn hard to break and I was going to hatch ducklings anyway. Ducklings are fast little growers, too, much faster than chicks, and of course they don't mind the wet. I'll look around for goose eggs, but I wouldn't want to spend the money unless it was for sebastopols, and it's way late for a goose to be brooding and laying, so I'm probably out of luck on that front.

Gorgeous birds! I've always loved their coloration, but I never did end up getting any for some reason, lol.

Well today has already been crazy. I had to rescue two chicks that somehow wedged themselves between the waterer and the brooder wall. They were fine but not happy. Then I discovered that along with the broody hen and the goose who's decided to try to to hatch again, I now have a second broody hen and my pekin has decided to go for round two on hatching eggs. Plus, I have two more ducks than I did last night - a male and female pekin pair were at the feeder today eating like they were starving. I believe they came from my neighbor, who has a not so good track record for taking good care of their poultry.

And I had to rescue one of the buff geese I bought this spring who were afraid of me but starting to come around. Gonnna probably have to start from square one on that with at least one of them. She had somehow gotten string tangled around both her legs and hobbled herself, so I had to chase her down - she kept flying as far from me as she could when I got close, until she gave up from exhaustion and I caught her. Then she screamed bloody murder on and off while I was holding her untangling her legs and trying not to let her wings go because getting whacked by a goose wing hurts. Then I put her down and she just laid on the ground like she was dead and didn't move when I came back over to pick her up. So I put her in the pool, thinking she overheated herself and she just floated for a bit before taking a drink and getting out. Then I watched to make sure she was okay and she preened all the feathers I messed up and was hanging out with her sister, so I think she's fine now but yeesh, what a morning!

ha ha Yeesh is right !!!

Today I have a mid-sized hawk checking the place out - only little Ruth is in real danger until the hawk does some double diving attack - but still - everyone is on edge and I keep going outside and making noise and waiving my arms around. Good thing I live in a rural area ! :)

YEA! Photo Tuesday! Took these yesterday:

3 year old hens: 2 Black Australorps, EE, 2 Faverolles and a Cubalaya under the picnic table

The other Cubalaya (under the lilac) one of the Anconas and Eos, 16 week old EE

The other 16 week old chicks were under the deck, they came out for pictures

and Eos ran under the deck!

Penelope - EE

The White Rocks. You can see one of the favored dust bath spots under the picnic table. Clever chickens, they made it themselves
wink.png

The Black Jersey Giants, a Rock and Eos

Athena - EE

Back
Top Bottom