Britt712

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Tennessee
I have coturnix eggs in lockdown but I'm afraid they wont be able to make it through the tough membrane. I don't know if this is normal for quail eggs but when I cracked open some quitters beforehand the membrane was very white and tough. Kind of had a leathery feel to them. When I carefully cracked the quitters I had no problem with the shell but I had to really work at the membranes to break them which almost always ended in a broken yolk if I wasn't patient. Humidity was around 30-40% at the time.

Will this affect my hatch? It didn't take them long to internally pip but it took about 10 hours for one to make a hairline external pip. I have another trying to externally pip now. I won't be going in there to mess with them I am just worried that they won't be able to zip properly and they will die. What should I do? I know waiting is my best option but I would like to avoid any unnecessary deaths as much as I can (obviously).

Hi there. You'll be amazed at how tough those tiny quail babies are! Once they get going they'll do just fine.

I help only if the chick doesn't hatch 24 hours after external pip and they don't make progress despite trying. Good luck and yes, be patient. It can be intense waiting for them to hatch, I know!

Hi there. You'll be amazed at how tough those tiny quail babies are! Once they get going they'll do just fine.

I help only if the chick doesn't hatch 24 hours after external pip and they don't make progress despite trying. Good luck and yes, be patient. It can be intense waiting for them to hatch, I know!
I have the times that they pipped written down so hopefully they will get going soon! Thank you so much It's just really odd to me as I've never had eggs with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom