very weak baby chick

roosters32

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
i let my baby chicks outside sometimes and the gate is wide open and my baby chick was just staying there and barely moves anymore. her feathers are kinda open up i have given her some anti fungal medicine and food with calcium and protein what else can i do she is never this weak

Did she get cold? Photos will help someone more experienced to help you. How long has she been like this? What makes you think it's fungal infection?

i don't think she got cold because it's around 90 right now and the place where she was laying at was white so my mom assumed it was some fungal in her vent and i think she has been like this since last night or this morning. i just put her in my room with a towel

Attachments

• EDE781D5-127B-4C09-B087-F1EAADBD83BA.jpeg
    EDE781D5-127B-4C09-B087-F1EAADBD83BA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
i think it might be worms because a few days ago they found a bird and ate it but she seemed fine until now so idk and i check her towel and vent and there was no leakage or blockage

the other ones are running around and chirping and i'm guessing my dog attacked the bird and the chicks found it hours later . she drinking water and doesn't care about the food so i might get some of her regular food

The white around the vent, is it dried droppings? If you can get a picture of any droppings, and the vent, it would be helpful. How old is the chick? Lethargy and sitting fluffed up are often symptoms of coccidiosis, runny or mucousy, or sometimes bloody (not always) droppings are also symptoms. Usual treatment for coccidiosis is Corid (amprolium, there are other brands, depending on where you are in the world). I would start that right away, it won't hurt anything if it's something else, it's very safe. But coccidiosis can kill, I would treat to be safe. Are you in the US, or where in the world, in general are you?

i checked and there isn't anything around her vent and it's been a few hours and she hasn't pooped at all yet . there was no blood in the coop and i think the white stuff my mom saw was maybe something else. she is around 3 months old and i live in the us

I would get some Corid and treat her. Coccidiosis is very common, especially with chicks. Most tractor supply stores , rural king, and feed stores carry it, it's usually in the cattle section, if you can't find it, ask. It's in the $20 -$30 range depending on where you get it. You can use either the powder or the liquid, it doesn't matter, most people find the liquid more convenient. Pictures below. Corid is very safe, it will not hurt her.
Dose is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in a gallon of drinking water, make it fresh daily, and make sure it's the only water they have access to. Treat for 5 - 7 days. I would also give her an oral dose until she starts drinking well on her own, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Back
Top Bottom