Vitamins?

Squirrelgirl88

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2011
Central Ohio
I saw a post mention a rooster's comb turning dark on the ends and someone mentioned vitamins. I thought maybe our rooster had experienced frost bite - ohio winters suck after all. But now I'm wondering if it is something else.

What vitamins would be suggested? Is there something else I should be looking for? We've only had him a few weeks, he's not 2 years old yet. I've also just treated him for scaling legs.

Last edited:
OK - inspection shows no sign of lice or mites on his feathers or skin. His legs look much better after just one treatment with bag balm. I cleaned his legs again today and greased him up again - he hates me by the way.

But his comb actually changes colors through the day! It was bright red this afternoon and then gets dusky later. Is this just a temperature thing?

I have read about ACV in the water, and will start adding that this week. How often on the ACV?

And my first question again - do they make vitamins that I should be giving them?

Temperature does affect comb color. Don't worry too much about variances in comb color because that is only an imperfect indicator of health in poultry. The only time I worry about comb color is if the bird is showing other more meaningful signs of illness.

You can use Poly-Vi-Sol without iron marketed for infants. There is also a product called NutriDrench for poultry. These are vitamin supplements appropriate for use in poultry.

I rarely use ACV so I can't tell you a set schedule for its use. Sorry.

I hope this helps. Good luck with him.

Back
Top Bottom